What's new

Question for collector gurus...

I bought an old straight razor with a blade in catastrophic shape, but with ivory scales and a beautiful metallic hunting scene insert on it.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Does anybody knows that logo with the two razors? It seems to me that the firm's name is "Do So". Maybe any informations or idea about the age?
It's not an old DoVo, on their website one can see the brands and logos from 1903.

Thanks!

ed

Hi - I've looked through my reference stuff but can't find find that logo so there I can't help you. If the blade isn't broken and not completely rotten it can usually improved to a reasonable state. I would say this is worth it for this razor for the scales alone but here I've bad news. They are almost certainly not ivory. I've seen this inlay before and they are celluloid made to look like ivory. If you think I'm wrong, heat a pin and touch the hot end to an inconspicuous place on the scales - on the inside near the pivot pin is good. Celluloid will melt instantly, ivory won't melt. Sorry but I just know these are celluloid! In any event, these scales are popular with USA collectors because of their content. Sorry if I've rained on your parade!:frown:

Thank you, The Invisible Edge - you're right! :frown: But don't worry, I prefer to know the truth... :wink: (And I bought it for about $6 :cool: )
Clear, it would be much more difficult and costly to put such an inlay in ivory - but it's a good imitation, with those characteristic ivory stripes, I can put it beside my 100 year old ivory pool ball - same color, same pattern.
Nevertheless, the inlay is a fine detail on it.
BTW, I found an old Solingen company named Dorko (Dorten GmbH & Co), I wrote them with the pictures, we will see!

The Invisible Edge:
I had the same info on a german forum.
"Hi edrose,
I am quite sure that the material for the scales is not ivory.
It looks like ivory but is celit. It is called "french ivory"."

They linked me a site with Dorko razors and there I found the Dorko logo: it's the same, with the two razors, so mine is an old Dorko too!

Top Bottom