What's new

question about pressure and where to apply it

I just have a quick question about where to apply pressure to a razor that isn't touching while honing. I have read and watched guys apply pressure "very light but still pressure" to the spot on the razor that isn't contacting the hone. My question is in machining or using a file to true up or flatten a piece of steel you always remove the metal that is high or touching until it becomes level or flat with the low (not touching) spot. Just curious if applying pressure to just the spot that needs it corrects the problem or just masks it.

It doesn't even mask the problem, and it can make matters worse.

Hone correctly, use the right stroke whether it be rolling or whatever, and you don't need to exert pressure to 'bend' or 'flex' the steel to get on the stone.

So even strokes will eventually even out or remove metal from the razor until it touches the hone across the entire length of blade. Obviously a smiling blade would require different technique but a square point that isn't smiling would just be time on the hone?

Depends on the geometry. You may need to roll the stroke or you may be able to hone out the issue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom