What's new

Pocket Watch

Thought I'd try B&B on this one...

I'm looking for a high quality pocket watch, I don't know good makers but I do know I don't really want to spend over than $150. All I can find are crappy department store watches. Let me add that I'd like to be able to purchase it in person as I do not like ordering something of this nature online.

Thanks

In all honesty "high quality pocket watch" and "Under $150" don't belong in the same sentence.

For that price range I'd look for an upper end Timex. They keep good time and take a lickin and keep on tickin. :biggrin:

Seriously, a true high quality pocket watch is going to run several hundred dollars.

Hi Kyle,

There are plenty of pocket watches on eBay that fit your budget.

Are you looking for an older style design or something more modern. For example, here is an Omega from the 1980s that shouldn't be too expensive. A more modern design such as this has the added benefit of including a date: not something an older design would typically include.

Perhaps if you offer a bit more detail in the style of pocket watch your seeking then a bit more detailed advice could be offered.

Good luck! :wink:

Cheers,

MasonM said:
In all honesty "high quality pocket watch" and "Under $150" don't belong in the same sentence.

For that price range I'd look for an upper end Timex. They keep good time and take a lickin and keep on tickin. :biggrin:

Seriously, a true high quality pocket watch is going to run several hundred dollars.
Mason's right. I'm afraid a nice one with some gold or silver and anything besides a movement made in Taiwan is going to be a little higher than that. Price them online and then look for a local place (maybe even a watch repair place...they might have one that was left for repair and never picked up). Places like "It's about Time" in the malls tend to be overpriced.

I guess my definition of "high quality" is it'll take a beating and still work and work accurately. I don't need precious metals or anything like that. I also hate those super modern looking pieces with crazy coloring and patterns. I also would like one with a cover and a chain.

Thanks for the answers.

I agree on going the ebay route -- you can get something used that's probably much nicer, less expensive, and far more impressive than the dreck they sell in department stores. In fact, that Omega in the picture posted by Danny is darned nice!

That said, back in the '80s my mother had given me a Pulsar pocket watch. It had a nice, classic, plain case and cover (I can't stand the "old timey" look that most pocket watches strive for). I carried that thing with me for over a decade without any problems, until I lost it somewhere. I don't know Pulsar still makes them, but if they do they probably are reasonably priced.

I think Tissot has some nice and affordable quartz pocket watches. I've had my tissot wrist watch for 12 years now, and it still works flawlessly. T-Swiss made. (What does that 'T' stand for???)

Stauff said:
I think Tissot has some nice and affordable quartz pocket watches. I've had my tissot wrist watch for 12 years now, and it still works flawlessly. T-Swiss made. (What does that 'T' stand for???)
T indicates that the radioactive material Tritium is present on the dial face.

Maybe try something from the Invicta line. I have one of their wrist watches and it seems to be very good quality for not much money and swiss made.

I am an AVID eBay buyer but, I understand your reluctance to go there on this one. I bought an old gold Elgin pocket watch dated ca. 1908 a few years ago at a GUN SHOW for $250. It's not the normal place you would think to buy one but, you have to look close but some booths carry that kind of stuff. Might be worth a look. BTW, Mine is in great shape, keeps great time and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

tam.audio said:
Thought I'd try B&B on this one...

I'm looking for a high quality pocket watch, I don't know good makers but I do know I don't really want to spend over than $150. All I can find are crappy department store watches. Let me add that I'd like to be able to purchase it in person as I do not like ordering something of this nature online.

Thanks
You looking for something with a quartz movement (batter powered) or old-fashioned mechanical (wind up)? I you want mechanical, the Russians make some pretty nice ones, and economical too. I've had a couple from Molnya factory for years, and never a problem with them. The Russians tend to make things, shall we say, robustly.

Top Bottom