What's new

On a whim and a leap...

So it all started with a PM from rossvtaylor asking if I was still stationed in NJ and would I like to try a pair of straights. Being new to B&B and still in the learning but not really knowing anything phase I said sure. Initially thinking that I would get to try a safety razor for the first time that pang of realization hit me... a straight razor. :death: Visions of bad Johnny Depp movies and a bloody mess came and went. Last week I met ross's son and was handed a traveling toothbrush holder containing what may have been the instrument of my impending doom. :eek2:

A few days pass as I google, watch videos, and read threads on straight razor shaving. During this time I am also debating about waiting if I should hold off for my PIF kit or use the Gillette cream I use daily. This past Saturday I wake up and decide that today is the day, damn the torpedoes, and all that jazz. I prep for my shave and unfold the first blade, a ERN. So I go very slow with a light stroke and came away with a nick under the nose, another on the neck, and a shave about equal to one of my cartridges when dull. I think I did well on the cheeks and side of the neck, but from the mouth area down not so much.

I skipped shaving altogether on Sunday and have used the ERN every morning so far since Monday. Except for scratches from the toe on my right cheek it has become an enjoyable experience. Today I didn't follow up with a cartridge when I shaved, though my technique still is very much a work in progress.

Thanks rossvtaylor!

Well I'm glad to help you in your conversion! For your first straight shaves, it sounds like you did well - certainly better than my first couple, since you didn't describe staring into the mirror watching your hand shake uncontrollably :)

Did you get the brush, soap, strop kit that Chefbaze sent you? I think that you'll find a good soap and lather makes a world of difference.

The kit arrived today so I have something else new to try my hand at this weekend. So for the update...

I am still scratching the right side (dominate hand) of my face in the cheek. I also nicked my ear on Wednesday, but not bad. This morning I shaved cartridge because I was rushed for time and I am noticing more stubble at this time of day than earlier in the week with the ERN.

So far I am digging this.

The kit arrived today so I have something else new to try my hand at this weekend. So for the update...

I am still scratching the right side (dominate hand) of my face in the cheek. I also nicked my ear on Wednesday, but not bad. This morning I shaved cartridge because I was rushed for time and I am noticing more stubble at this time of day than earlier in the week with the ERN.

So far I am digging this.
And in walks the guy with... the "name" LOL!! Know all about those ear cuttings lol! Maybe I'll retire the name to you now lol.

Sounds like you are doing great vangvace! When Ithink of all the work it took to get it all down I am shocked I stuck with it until the wife reminds me of how great my face looks using a straight. Moreover, when some dudes giving me a hard time, I just think to myself what a punk! I shave with a straight and this little... lol.

Seriously welcome to B&B, straights, and wet shaving in general. I hope you learn to enjoy the hobby as much as I have!!

Well, if it helps to keep you motivated vangvace, my son's interest was sparked by his (brief) possession of those razors and his realization that someone else besides his geeky dad thinks wet shaving is cool. So, he's been using the DE starter kit I sent him and this morning he told me how much he loves using a brush and soap! Right on. :)

That you earcutter for the welcome. rossvtaylor, it is good that he is taking the plunge. I could tell he was a little hesitant about the whole thing, be it giving a stranger a pair of razors or the whole shaving experience.

So this morning I woke up and cartridge shaved because I was in a hurry. I could tell to because 7 hours later the stubble was brewing. Oh and I have to strop for the first time soon. :straight:

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats on your giving straights a shot. What do you have to help maintain them. Do you intend to send them out for honing?

Right now I have a 2" leather strop and balsa strop with iron oxide and chromium oxide thanks to a PIF from Chefbaze. I haven't thought to much about honing just yet I'm afraid. I have an abstract idea of what it is, but that is the next phase of my research. I think if I come across a couple more blades I might send them out. If I don't, then I may try my hand at honing. Shoot... I might try my hand anyways lol.

Edit for the blade
$563245_3449407045828_1590286443_2764594_1895371359_n.jpg

So much for beginners luck. A pair of good cuts and a couple nicks this week already. One was for horizontal blade movement, another was pressure from shaving before fully waking up, and the nicks I believe may be from stropping efficiency... or lack thereof. Ah well, one can only improve with practice.

Lose focus for one moment and...

$562369_3561320363591_1590286443_2803385_1535594273_n.jpg

wasn't deep or too bad. Alum closed it right up after a couple minutes of rubbing.

I have two of those on the same spot. Don't lose focus and don't push. Lay the blade flat and pull the skin. Watch out for tomorrow. Welcome to the club.

Ah well, one can only improve with practice.

I could not have said it better! Keep it up! I can attest that my shaves now are much better than the ones I had 6 months ago. With the determination you are showing you are well on your way to success Vangvace!

Jon

Well I'm sorry you cut yourself. I'm glad you signed that liability waiver for me... Oh, where did I put that now? Let me hide outside of the country for a while... :)

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see you've stuck with it. I was wondering and am happy to see you're still hanging in there. If you run into my son again, please say hi for me.

Ross

If your scratching yourself that long it means your moving too fast....

Half the speed your using now... You'll thank me later...

Best o luck

Ross, will do. I have about 3 weeks left before I ship out for Europe so don't hide there! Stropping was very frustrating in the beginning, but after using the balsa and time it is coming along.

Paco664, will do. I was really lucky with that one because I was shaving from mouth to ear at the time so it could have been much worse than a superficial cut the length of the blade.

That is awesome you have progressed so quickly and very generous B&B members. I am very scared to take the leap from DE to straights
Especially after seeing you scratch yourself with it and cutting your ear haha

I will one day when I get the confidence to just get one from Larry but am worried it might not be my cup of tea but it is something I do want to learn... one day

Nova, the scratches are pretty light. I think it has to do with the angle I am holding the blade against my face. I seem to hold the heel away from my face compared to the point and... scratch city.

I cut into my nose yesterday while doing a 'stache pass with a 7/8 Oakwing. It bled real bad, when I pulled it out although it small, it felt like I was pulling a knife out a hunk of meat. I've done that facial gash on alot a freshly honed razors. Stay focused my friend or she will bite you again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom