What's new

Oh no, not again!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Every several years I get hit by the photobug. Don't get me wrong- I love the hobby- but it has an uncanny way of completely taking over my life in a manner far worse than knives, wine, flashlights, tropical fish, audio gear, motorcycles, or any other past afflictions, including shaving.

I have thusfar been able to avoid diving headfirst into digital by employing a variety excuses that are quickly losing any semblence of effectivenss- ditigal isn't "real" photograhy, that digital is still in its infancy and suffering from considerable growing pains, that the format has severe limitations, blah blah blah.

Now I do believe that digital cameras will produce a world of snapshot takers, as did the advent of the fully automatic camera. Example- I gave my daughter my old, unused, low level Canon A310, figuring that it's cheaper for her to snap a 1,000 pics than develop a single roll of film, and have discovered that she is learning nothing about photography. This summer, we have a father/daughter project planned, where she will try to learn about light (and math) using an old, fully manual Voightlander rangefinder and a hand held meter, but that's another story.

I'd like to have my reentry to the market as painless as possible, so I thought I'd pick your brains. I'm looking for a nice, versatile hand held. No SLR- I know where that would lead me and I simply don't want to go there; not now, at least.
I'd prefer a Canon, something along the lines of what Din just got. What would the competion be?

Jay:

DPreview is a great site for just what you're doing now. I agonized several weeks over a new, robust point and shoot. I finally decided on the Canon G7 and am very happy with it.

If you like rangefinders such as the Voightlander, this comes as close as you can get without forking over several grand for the new Leica M8. It has AV, TV, P, and full manual. Is it perfect? No, but for point and shoots, it's best in class in my opinion right now (not in the same class as M8).

Next week.....maybe another story

I really enjoy rangefinders having owned an M6, and still have an M3. The classic look of the G7 reminds me a lot of them.

I'll be curious to see what you end up with.

If you want a nice point and shoot Canon's are the way to go. Ken Rockwell (a Nikon shooter) seems to like the Canon A530 and A540. He has a very lengthly review on his site. Take a look.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/a530.htm

I have the A530 and like it. My mother in law has the A520. My only two gripes with the A530 are that it has the memory card slot located in the battery compartment while the A520 has seperate compartments. It's only a concern if you pop the card out to stick in a card reader. If using USB then it's not a big deal. My other gripe is that it doesn't have any built in memory. Sometimes I forget to take the card out of my laptop and stick it back in the camera. I'll then grab the camera and go only to realize I can't take any pictures. Of course this would not be an issue if I left the card in the camera and used the USB cable. :001_rolle

ouch

Jay:

If you like rangefinders such as the Voightlander, this comes as close as you can get without forking over several grand for the new Leica M8. It has AV, TV, P, and full manual. Is it perfect? No, but for point and shoots, it's best in class in my opinion right now (not in the same class as M8).

I have an MP. For now, I'd really like to keep it down somewhere around three and change. I can't really justify spending much more for what really amounts to a point and shoot, no matter how good it is.

Thanks for the links.

I know you said that you did not want an SLR, but the digital Canon Rebel XT is a great camera for about the same money as some of the smaller cameras. If you do not mind the extra bulk, it does provide quite a bit more versatility. As for me I have it bad: I have two digital Canon SLR, a Canon C60 and a Nikon Coolpix. I will not go into the other stuff...

ouch

Well, I finally took the plunge, and I'd like to thank you all for the great suggestions. Even if I didn't ultimately take your advice, I assure you your input was instrumental in my decision making process.

As expected, I didn't take the normal route. I wound up spending more than I would have for a G7, but my thoughts on cameras (and other items) are as follows-
If I'm purchasing something for the long haul, then I want something very good. I don't think digital cameras fall into this category- they're two steps away from being disposable, as they seem to become outdated (or, at the very least, no longer state of the art) as soon as you unpack them.
I think it's a better idea to enjoy the benefits that have trickled down from the cutting edge into the mainstream. If I thought a G7 was as jewel-like as my not so old Contax G2, or would last as long as one of my old Leicas (or Rolleis) I would be using one right now. Even a DSLR body will soon be undesirable, if not obsolete.

So I bought three cameras, two for me and one for my daughter. I wanted something absurdly small that I can always have with me, so I got a Casio EX-S770. I paid a few bucks more than the older S600 for the larger LCD, and this thing is positively tiny. It also seems very well made, and has a rugged looking stainless steel case (I got blue). I also wanted something with more of a zoom than the typical Canons, so I got a Panasonic DMC-TZ1. My kids b'day is next week, so I also picked up a Canon A540 that was such a steal I just couldn't pass it up ($133). The Canon is the only one I've unpacked so far, and I can't believe how many options they crammed into this thing. Canon certainly has the economy of scale working in its favor. The controls seem very intuitive, too, so she start out full auto and gradually learn what the different settings do. If the other two work as well as this one, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks again.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If I'm purchasing something for the long haul, then I want something very good. I don't think digital cameras fall into this category- they're two steps away from being disposable, as they seem to become outdated (or, at the very least, no longer state of the art) as soon as you unpack them.

They are the Gillette Fusion of the photography world. :001_tt2: Am I the only one who sees the similarities? Digital cametera = quattro; 35mm = straight razor ... harder to master, does a better job once you do master it, there's some romance to using it and a sense of accomplishment, and involves a bit more time and effort in an old-fashioned sort of way! :laugh:

Nice job on the G7 Jay! I love mine and you're right, it's a little jewel and reminded me of my Contax T3!

I set the C1 (custom settings) to my SOTD settings and every day I just flip the dial to C1 and I'm ready to go!

Let me know how you like it after you've had time to play with it! (Still talkin' camera here!)

Well, I finally took the plunge, and I'd like to thank you all for the great suggestions. Even if I didn't ultimately take your advice, I assure you your input was instrumental in my decision making process.

As expected, I didn't take the normal route. I wound up spending more than I would have for a G7, but my thoughts on cameras (and other items) are as follows-
I think it's a better idea to enjoy the benefits that have trickled down from the cutting edge into the mainstream. If I thought a G7 was as jewel-like as my not so old Contax G2, or would last as long as one of my old Leicas (or Rolleis) I would be using one right now. Even a DSLR body will soon be undesirable, if not obsolete.

So I bought three cameras, two for me and one for my daughter. I wanted something absurdly small that I can always have with me, so I got a Casio EX-S770. I paid a few bucks more than the older S600 for the larger LCD, and this thing is positively tiny. It also seems very well made, and has a rugged looking stainless steel case (I got blue). I also wanted something with more of a zoom than the typical Canons, so I got a Panasonic DMC-TZ1. My kids b'day is next week, so I also picked up a Canon A540 that was such a steal I just couldn't pass it up ($133). The Canon is the only one I've unpacked so far, and I can't believe how many options they crammed into this thing. Canon certainly has the economy of scale working in its favor. The controls seem very intuitive, too, so she start out full auto and gradually learn what the different settings do. If the other two work as well as this one, I'll be a happy camper.

Thanks again.

Now get shootin! :thumbup1:

ouch

Nice job on the G7 Jay! I love mine and you're right, it's a little jewel and reminded me of my Contax T3!

I set the C1 (custom settings) to my SOTD settings and every day I just flip the dial to C1 and I'm ready to go!

Let me know how you like it after you've had time to play with it! (Still talkin' camera here!)

I know that my writing style is ponderous and plodding, when it's decipherable at all, but I meant to say that I didn't buy the G7, even though I wound up spending more money in the long run.

I bought two inexpensive cameras and a third that was almost free. So far, they all seem pretty cool. I'll keep you posted.

One of the good things about living in the NYC area is being able to walk into places such as B&H. I remember when they were a little dump, years back. Now they occupy an entire block of prime midtown real estate. I have a friend who has worked for years in a little camera store, and they often pay more wholesale than B&H sells their products for retail; such is their buying power.

And now, in the immortal words of the inventor of the camcorder, "Honey, c'mere!"

Jay, those Casio's are darn nice cameras for the money and size. I'm always impressed by the photos coming out of them.

ouch

Jay, those Casio's are darn nice cameras for the money and size. I'm always impressed by the photos coming out of them.

I saw some very nice looking Canon, Sony, and Olympus models that were very small, but the Casio is impossibly thin. The LCD takes up practically the entire back of the camera, and the case is very nicely tooled.

The Panasonic is a bit clunky compared to some other compacts, but I'm a sucker for a zoom.

I know that my writing style is ponderous and plodding, when it's decipherable at all, but I meant to say that I didn't buy the G7, even though I wound up spending more money in the long run.

I bought two inexpensive cameras and a third that was almost free. So far, they all seem pretty cool. I'll keep you posted.

One of the good things about living in the NYC area is being able to walk into places such as B&H. I remember when they were a little dump, years back. Now they occupy an entire block of prime midtown real estate. I have a friend who has worked for years in a little camera store, and they often pay more wholesale than B&H sells their products for retail; such is their buying power.

And now, in the immortal words of the inventor of the camcorder, "Honey, c'mere!"

Evidentally your writing skills are better than my reading skills! Guess I need to start looking at ALL the words.:rolleyes1

Top Bottom