What's new

"Oh, I thought Dexter let you go"

So about a month ago my Dad gave me his straight razor when he saw my DE. He gave me some good advice, and already being a member here I got some more tips.

Really, other than an awkward first shave, things have really went well. A close, comfortable shave. That is, of course till the other day.

Half way through my shave, I accidentally "dinged" the edge of the razor on the faucet. I looked at it and it didn't seem to have any marks. I quickly stropped it and continued. BIG, ARROGANT MISTAKE!

I took a steady, smooth, confident pass. I guess between the small nick in the blade and a little drying of the soap, the blade skipped and dug into my face. Being on my second pass, I was going vertical accross my cheek bone. It really did look like one of his "samples". Blood pouring down my face. I applied pressure, styptic, and finally a little A&D mixed with neosporin and one of those "dot" bandaids. I put the razor down and finished with the DE.:cursing:

I went to bed (luckliy my wife was asleep, I'm sure there will be mockery this evening) and removed the bandaid this AM. When I got to work, a co-worker asked, and I explained. I found her response hysterical, hence the title of the post.

So, time to add a line item into the budget for re-honing. I may try to see if my local barber will do it- need a haircut anyway.

Thought I'd share- never know if someone else may benefit from this experience.

Ryan

And your response: "Yeah, since I'm not hacked into pieces and bobbing up the coast, I guess I didn't fit The Code."

Next time, try superglue.

I think every straight shaver can tell you about how they learnt how delicate a straight razor edge really is.

Nearly always painful.

Thanks for sharing.

Ha Ha! Yeah, not quite how I hoped to travel along the gulf.

Forum9- I used to have a whole bunch of dermabond from when I worked in the ER, but used it up. I did think of that, but all I had was gorilla glue. I should really consider picking up a tube or asking a former colleague for dermabond to keep in the den.

Ouch, that kinda sucks. I think there are lots of guys here that hone for free though aren't there?

I'd be glad to take care of it for you if you'd like. I'm not too far away.

Top Bottom