What's new

obsidian copper lather bowl

Hi all,
Anyone have any information about the Obsidian copper lather bowl? How durable is the finish? These copper bowls are beautiful eye candy!! Is it lacquer or painted or maybe baked on at high heat. I have never owned one, but i have always wandered if maybe the copper can leach into the lather and maybe contaminate it? Idk just curious..

I know one of it really makes that bowl pop, whatever it is, its beautiful!! I just wandering how long it would stay that way. I guess no one knows because they haven't been out long enough in that particular finish. So does the flare at the top make a wider bowl at the edge so the brush does hit the top inside edge?

B&B is a great place as it is in part because any commercial activity is limited to the Vendor sub-forum.

Having been asked I will say that the manufacturer that is licensed by us to produce them also creates copper sinks in the same Obsidian finish. As you can imagine, sinks are subjected to a great deal of abrasive scrubbing that lather bowls never will be. We have shipped our Obsidian bowls for a few years now worldwide and not had any issues.

B&B is a great place as it is in part because any commercial activity is limited to the Vendor sub-forum.

Having been asked I will say that the manufacturer that is licensed by us to produce them also creates copper sinks in the same Obsidian finish. As you can imagine, sinks are subjected to a great deal of abrasive scrubbing that lather bowls never will be. We have shipped our Obsidian bowls for a few years now worldwide and not had any issues.
Sure is 👍!! So Its a black oxide finish? Not lacquered, i read that sometimes the lacquered coating coming off. But i also read you stopped using the lacquered finish, i think.
I posted above, so does the flared edge make it wider than 4.5" at the top inside edge so the brush will not hit? This may sound like a silly question, but the copper doesn't post any concerns about it leaching into the lather? The reason i ask is foods aren't compatible or recommended with contact with copper. I know we aren't ingesting the lather, but its still gets absorbed in the skin.

Sure is 👍!! So Its a black oxide finish? Not lacquered, i read that sometimes the lacquered coating coming off. But i also read you stopped using the lacquered finish, i think.
I posted above, so does the flared edge make it wider than 4.5" at the top inside edge so the brush will not hit? This may sound like a silly question, but the copper doesn't post any concerns about it leaching into the lather? The reason i ask is foods aren't compatible or recommended with contact with copper. I know we aren't ingesting the lather, but its still gets absorbed in the skin.

I have the Aquamarine finish, about 6 months now, and it looks like the day I bought it. I thought the color was some sort of paint, though never really cared enough to ask.

I just measured mine and as close as I can tell, at the very top edge the diameter is 4-11/16 inches. I would think that since these are made by hand that each bowl may vary (very slightly) in size. Regardless, you are going to hit the edge of the bowl when you lather. I've gotten to the point where it is very infrequent, but also depends on which brush I'm using. It will happen with any bowl or mug.

Regarding the copper absorption thing: I'm not a scientist, have no idea, and never really worry about it. Of course only you can decide your own personal level of "risk" tolerance or avoidance. Hundreds of guys (thousands?) use these bowls daily, and millions also smoke and eat at McDonalds every day too, so...your call.

I have the Aquamarine finish, about 6 months now, and it looks like the day I bought it. I thought the color was some sort of paint, though never really cared enough to ask.

I just measured mine and as close as I can tell, at the very top edge the diameter is 4-11/16 inches. I would think that since these are made by hand that each bowl may vary (very slightly) in size. Regardless, you are going to hit the edge of the bowl when you lather. I've gotten to the point where it is very infrequent, but also depends on which brush I'm using. It will happen with any bowl or mug.

Regarding the copper absorption thing: I'm not a scientist, have no idea, and never really worry about it. Of course only you can decide your own personal level of "risk" tolerance or avoidance. Hundreds of guys (thousands?) use these bowls daily, and millions also smoke and eat at McDonalds every day too, so...your call.
Yeah that's true, meaning everything in life has its risks. It's still a valid and good question. Thats just me, i analyze everything i am going to buy or that i a maybe interested in. As long as the coating is durable then there should be no concerns, and apparently it is.. Either way i want one, do i need one, no. I will have to decide what finish I like. Imo the black oxide coating would retard/stop corrosion, wouls it would stay that way, thats why yours still looks the same..

Mike

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have this problem with Captain Choice Copper bowls. I bought my first one, the heavy copper Aquamarine and within days, my wife decided it fit perfect in our newly furnished TV room that has two teal chairs. That Aquamarine sits on a very interesting 2.5" crystal/metal stand accent chair in between the two swivel chairs.

So a few days later, I bought a second Aquamarine bowl for myself, but not to use to lathering. I put a piece of felt in the bottom and keep my car keys in it. I no longer have to look around the house for them.

So I saw the CC heavy copper bowl that @SgtCrppls polished and how beautiful it looked, so I ordered my third one. I took the time to polish it to a very high shine. It looks so beautiful, I can't bring myself to use it for lathering. It's sitting right besides me on an end table and I admire it every time I'm sitting here typing or when I'm watching TV.

I really need to order an Obsidian bowl and actually use it for its intended purpose.

I have this problem with Captain Choice Copper bowls. I bought my first one, the heavy copper Aquamarine and within days, my wife decided it fit perfect in our newly furnished TV room that has two teal chairs. That Aquamarine sits on a very interesting 2.5" crystal/metal stand accent chair in between the two swivel chairs.

So a few days later, I bought a second Aquamarine bowl for myself, but not to use to lathering. I put a piece of felt in the bottom and keep my car keys in it. I no longer have to look around the house for them.

So I saw the CC heavy copper bowl that @SgtCrppls polished and how beautiful it looked, so I ordered my third one. I took the time to polish it to a very high shine. It looks so beautiful, I can't bring myself to use it for lathering. It's sitting right besides me on an end table and I admire it every time I'm sitting here typing or when I'm watching TV.

I really need to order an Obsidian bowl and actually use it for its intended purpose.
I want to thank my cousin for helping to cross sell for us. He heads up our marketing department. :biggrin1:

Yeah that's true, meaning everything in life has its risks. It's still a valid and good question. Thats just me, i analyze everything i am going to buy or that i a maybe interested in. As long as the coating is durable then there should be no concerns, and apparently it is.. Either way i want one, do i need one, no. I will have to decide what finish I like. Imo the black oxide coating would retard/stop corrosion, wouls it would stay that way, thats why yours still looks the same..

Mike

Of course all of your questions and concerns are valid. It's your prerogative when you are spending your money, and it's your body to expose, or not, to metals, chemicals, toxins, etc.

I will just add this:

I tried several mugs and bowls, and stopped looking after I got my Captain's Choice copper bowl. It works, it is the perfect size, and it seems indestructable.

In fact, I have only ever seen one CC bowl come up for sale in the BST forum here, so I'm guessing most members that own one feel the same way, and hang onto them.

While I also view my Aquamarine bowl as a hand-crafted work of art, I use mine. You are missing the best part of owning one (or three).🙂

I posted above, so does the flared edge make it wider than 4.5" at the top inside edge so the brush will not hit? This may sound like a silly question, but the copper doesn't post any concerns about it leaching into the lather? The reason i ask is foods aren't compatible or recommended with contact with copper. I know we aren't ingesting the lather, but its still gets absorbed in the

Cap Scott you outdid yourself on this bowl, worth the money and fits the hand like a glove, top tier bowl, and pictures doesn't give this Obsidian bowl justice i give it ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating for sure, and worth the money PERIOD.

I believe it’s an oxide finish but we could always ask the man himself @Captain Pre-Capsize :thumbsup:

Top Bottom