What's new

Not what I’d expect from Colt

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’ve shipped through FedEx a few times no problem. It may have changed but it used to be they could be shipped to and from a manufacturer for repairs. You had to drop off at a real FedEx location though not a mail express type of place.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I was kind of curious so I’ve been looking. Looks like is legal to do it, but all common carriers have instituted rules stating they have to go through a FFL. This makes no sense because the FFL would have to transfer your firearm back to you.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Late to the party, but hate seeing QC issues from them ...

The new Colt "Baby Snake" 22 looks amazing, but.

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I was kind of curious so I’ve been looking. Looks like is legal to do it, but all common carriers have instituted rules stating they have to go through a FFL. This makes no sense because the FFL would have to transfer your firearm back to you.

I’m still confused by all of this. Last summer, I went to a small local FedEx to ship a Browning.22 back for some work and the FedEx wouldn’t take it for the exact reasons you stated; instead telling me to take it back to where I bought it and let them send it to Browning, which I did, taking it to Academy Sports and the manager sent it to Browning. When they were done I picked it back up from Academy. They made me do the ATF paperwork all over again and still called in for a background check even though no money transferred hands. I wasn’t happy.

A few months later, I’m telling this story here in some thread; and while I don’t remember who it was, one of y’all said, “I just sent a gun back FedEx and had no trouble.”

Well, I started having trouble with a Ruger LCP II and an LCP Max at the same time. Got an RMA from Ruger and went back to FedEx. But instead of going to the small FedEx store, I went to one of their bigger hubs. Guess what? They took them both with no trouble at all and FedEx delivered them back to my door a week later.

I have to admit, I’m very confused by that?

Well...I'm done with the whole sordid affair, at least for now.
Took a ride down to Jasper, GA and met up with Brannen Moss of Moss Firearms. Brannen is one of the superior gunsmiths out there and if you need pretty much any kind of work done to anything that shoots and you are in the north GA/SE Tennessee region, he is well worth looking up. That being said.....
When he first looked at that barrel, he winced. Like being in true pain. Bottom line was it was completely safe but was a pathetic fitment of the barrel. Poor machining (not a crack) and sorry barrel to breech fit were just a couple issues he pointed out. Totally safe but accuracy may be a concern was the gist of his inspection.
He had seen the phenomena before. Acknowledged today's Colt 1911 ain't what they used to be. He did advise that the new generation Pythons were great shooters and well worth picking up if one was looking for a sidearm to ACTUALLY SHOOT😱.
Hence, as this Delta Elite was never intended to be a competition/50 yd. Bullseye contender, methinks I'll just hold onto it and love it like I would a homely daughter😉

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have to admit, I’m very confused by that?
From my experience the package has to be delivered to one of the FedEx Hubs. It can’t go to a small FedEx store. Seems like I had to pick it up at the same hub. This has been about 10yrs ago so there is a high probability that something has changed.

From my experience the package has to be delivered to one of the FedEx Hubs. It can’t go to a small FedEx store. Seems like I had to pick it up at the same hub. This has been about 10yrs ago so there is a high probability that something has changed.
^^FedEx and UPS will both accept declared firearms at their hub locations from private individuals, sub-stations/drop-locations will not.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
^^FedEx and UPS will both accept declared firearms at their hub locations from private individuals, sub-stations/drop-locations will not.

Thinking back on it, Browning wouldn't send me an RMA telling me, FedEx won't take them. It makes me wonder, if certain gun manufacturers are trying to be politically correct and going along with certain government entities in making us jump thru the hoops when returning firearms and other manufacturers are still sending RMA's for shipping by FedEx, UPS and others?

Thinking back on it, Browning wouldn't send me an RMA telling me, FedEx won't take them. It makes me wonder, if certain gun manufacturers are trying to be politically correct and going along with certain government entities in making us jump thru the hoops when returning firearms and other manufacturers are still sending RMA's for shipping by FedEx, UPS and others?
There's a ton of ignorance at the shipping locations, and obviously the attitudes of various staff members come into play as well.

I think they try to "keep it on the down low" to prevent the movement of weapons across state lines to various ghost LLCs, while still meeting customers needs/wants, and I can understand that.

My personal problem is with most of the manufacturers, in that as far as I can tell, they have no genuine certified gunsmiths on staff; they have Bobby Joe who was trained to place widget A in slot B if the customer says X is happening, with little to no test firing. Ruger, Mossberg, Remington, S&W, et al, all replace parts and will remove aftermarket parts (including sights, in some cases) and either not return them and/or charge for removing and replacing them with OEMs, even if the parts were in no way causing a problem. Again, I understand liability mitigation, but much of this activity shows incompetence rather than consciousness of liability.

IMO, YMMV, etc.,...

The gunsmith did advise it still was a pretty poorly fit barrel so if/when I can find a Fed Ex drop to accept the return package (yes, I know it is completely legal for me to return it but many of the Fed Ex drop off centers won’t touch it unless it’s shipped from an FFL holder back to the factory), I will most probably return it for a new barrel.

I picked up a combat commander first outing to the range the fiber came out of the front sight.
got the sights changed out and the second outing one of the medallions came off the grip. I really don't think I want to take it to the range again

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
The gunsmith did advise it still was a pretty poorly fit barrel so if/when I can find a Fed Ex drop to accept the return package (yes, I know it is completely legal for me to return it but many of the Fed Ex drop off centers won’t touch it unless it’s shipped from an FFL holder back to the factory), I will most probably return it for a new barrel.

I may have missed it but is there a reason you have to use FedEx? I shipped a revolver to Ruger and IIRC I used UPS. I took it to a local shipping store and it was as easy as shipping a letter.

Interesting read about Colt QC as I was really wanting a Colt 1911 at some point. Hmmm

I may have missed it but is there a reason you have to use FedEx? I shipped a revolver to Ruger and IIRC I used UPS. I took it to a local shipping store and it was as easy as shipping a letter.

Interesting read about Colt QC as I was really wanting a Colt 1911 at some point. Hmmm
That has always fascinated me- buying A Name. I know some people buy a Corvette, a certain Audi class, obviously some razors, etc., because of the name, but performance is the selling point for me.

If you're a modestly competent gun tinkerer, I would say a Colt could be worth the money because you would be able to assess it and either say good-to-go, or you're able to make it what it should be with a bit of effort & some extra parts.

If you really want the Colt, have a dealer nearby and can handle several, that's the only way I would buy one. Definitely not something I would have ordered in.

If you just have the 1911 bug, Tisas guns are an absolute steal at the moment. Excellent fit and finish and a ton of options. Their highest end is pretty much entry level on the Colt.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That has always fascinated me- buying A Name. I know some people buy a Corvette, a certain Audi class, obviously some razors, etc., because of the name, but performance is the selling point for me.

If you're a modestly competent gun tinkerer, I would say a Colt could be worth the money because you would be able to assess it and either say good-to-go, or you're able to make it what it should be with a bit of effort & some extra parts.

If you really want the Colt, have a dealer nearby and can handle several, that's the only way I would buy one. Definitely not something I would have ordered in.

If you just have the 1911 bug, Tisas guns are an absolute steal at the moment. Excellent fit and finish and a ton of options. Their highest end is pretty much entry level on the Colt.

I picked up a Rock Island 1911 9mm from a buddy at work. 5 mags and holders all for $475. When it comes to firearms I don’t particularly look at names or care. I have a semi auto 12ga from some mfg in Turkey, I don’t even remember the name. Colt is just an iconic name and I don’t own any Colt arms so figured why not.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
So...after all the confusion, the local FedEx drop accepted the package for shipment without any issues👍🏻
It’s amazing how little some employees know about their job. I had a lady at the USPS tell me the at they absolutely will not, ever, allow tobacco to be shipped through the US mail. She had no answer when I informed her that companies routinely ship pipe tobacco to me through the USPS.

It’s amazing how little some employees know about their job. I had a lady at the USPS tell me the at they absolutely will not, ever, allow tobacco to be shipped through the US mail. She had no answer when I informed her that companies routinely ship pipe tobacco to me through the USPS.
One thing I do miss about Tennessee- stopping in rural gas stations and seeing a wall of 2 pound tobacco bags, 4 deep, floor to ceiling.:001_smile

Top Bottom