What's new

Nog

With the holiday season and freeze snap that we finally got around here, I had a notion to whip up a batch of eggnog using El Alamein's recipe (posted below) that he shared here last year. I cut it in half this time around. And I found it very easy to make with the KitchenAid stand mixer that I picked up recently!

But wouldn't you know it? When I was grating it, I dropped the nut into the nog again. :blush:

Thanks El Alamein! :thumbup:

----
Eggnog

Here's the recipe I use:

1 dozen large eggs
1 quart of heavy whipping cream
2 quarts of milk
1 pound of 10x confectionary sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Fresh grated nutmeg (or pre-grated from store)
1 gallon empty container (say, an empty plastic milk container)
1 ½ gallon empty container

1. Separate eggs into egg whites and egg yolks into 2 bowls.
2. Whip egg whites until stiff (easier if 1 cup of 10x sugar is added first before whipping).
3. Whip heavy cream until stiff (easier if 1 cup of 10x sugar is added first before whipping) in a separate bowl.
4. Pour whipped egg whites, whipped cream and 2 quarts of milk (any kind of milk will do) into a VERY LARGE bowl and mix thoroughly.
5. Add remaining sugar, vanilla extract and nutmeg to taste to the egg yolks and whisk until thick and pasty.
6. Add the egg yolks to the big bowl of cream, milk egg whites etc and mix thoroughly.

You will need at least a one gallon container plus a half gallon container to put the mixture into when done mixing. Let the egg nog sit for 24 hours in the refrigerator before tasting. Shake container thoroughly before pouring a drink – EACH and EVERY Time. Add spirits to individual glasses if desired.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
But wouldn't you know it? When I was grating it, I dropped the nut into the nog again. :blush:

Note to self: pass on the egg nog at JP's house.

I find one of these helpful to prevent such occurrances. Won't help with the grating, though.

Note to self: pass on the egg nog at JP's house.

I find one of these helpful to prevent such occurrances. Won't help with the grating, though.

He never said it was an accident.

Sounds like a winner, JP. I may give it a shot.

JP, glad your enjoying the Nog. I'll be whipping up a batch myself soon! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Chris

Hi Chris. Eggnog is one of the true joys of Christmas time. Heck, any time after the fall season hits. I also enjoy Tom and Jerry's but go easy with the brandy. There is something about warmed hard spirit that does shall we say, strange things to your equilibrium.

About your formula(eggnogg is too regal to be referred to as simply a "recipe" or receipt as in days of yore). Is it right thick? I like mine to be thicker than say half and half, but not like the paste from the store. One of the reasons I quit store bought nog and started making my own is the ungodly sweetness and over thick consistency which I believe was due to some thickener like gum or starch. Aside from that it just didn't have enough "eggy" flavour. I vastly prefer home made nogs and haven't bought any from the grocer in ages. I notice you don't cook your eggs and neither do I. I don't care for the taste in nog. Now custards, that is another story but back to the point. I have had fresh nog for years with RAW eggs and nary a problem. While I am all for being careful and trying to eat better and healthier things(did I say that in an eggnog post?)there are certain things I won't give up any time soon. The chippy, raw eggnog, and medium cooked steaks. I'll see myself damned first.

One last thing for those who do this; alcohol in the nog. Normally I don't use any. The recipes(there's that word again) I have seen for Tom and Jerry, eggnog, and glogg(a spiced wine but varies a lot) are usually HEAVY with alcohol. George Washington's eggnog would have gobsmacked a Caribbean sailor. TWO cups of brandy, 1 cup of rye whiskey, 1 cup of dark Jamaica rum, and last but not least, 1/2 cup of cream sherry. Considering that there was only 3/4 cup of sugar and a quart each of cream and milk, this stuff was not for the young! Would someone posit a suggestion as to favoured spirits or amounts per litre of nog? Thank you for the "formula" Chris and JP for re-posting it. I am always on the lookout for new nogs.

Regards, Todd

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The recipe does sound lovely. Is it possible to heat the eggs, as in making a creme anglaise, or would that ruin the consistency? Not a big fan of raw egg products*.

*Except Casar salad, as it is a scientific fact :)wink2: ) that anchovy kills everything.

The recipe does sound lovely. Is it possible to heat the eggs, as in making a creme anglaise, or would that ruin the consistency? Not a big fan of raw egg products.

Yes it is! The real trick is temperature control. Check out this link, the method is towards the bottom of the linked page. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the very young, the elderly, pregnant women and those with compromised immune systems, raw eggs can be quite dangerous. Even though the FDA says that only about one egg in 20,000 contains salmonella bacteria - the risk is not worth taking if you are among these groups of people.[/FONT]

http://www.melindalee.com/hardboileggs.html

Hi JP. Well, I could see the second technique mentioned in the article working. IF you could keep the temp consistent. The microwave technique will likely result in a fully cooked egg. If I start going to the trouble of pasteurising eggs, I will likely do it in a double boiler after they have been cracked and whisked together. Kill two birds with one stone. Pasteurise and have them ready for the blending. Either way you would need an ACCURATE, instant read, digital thermometer. It is worth doing if it is easy enough. Even for this unrepentant raw nog drinker.

Regards, Todd

Homemade nog is very fine. Knowing how much cream and egg yolks you're eating is another story!

I always assumed the brandy killed the germs :biggrin:

My wife and I make a batch of a Dutch drink called Advocaat. It's a yellow drink that's very similar, but it's main seasonings are basically just vanilla and sugar. It's very good over ice cream and highly recommended if you like cognac and cognac-based drinks.

Addressing some of the problems noted in above messages, here is a solution:
a classic eggnog that I have made over the years. The suggestions for
dealing with salmonella are mine, based on government temperature guidelines.
This is truly great stuff.
1 quart whisky-rum-brandy in any combination
3 pints heavy cream
3 cups sugar
4 quarts milk
nutmeg

Separate eggs.
Blend booze into yolks (the alcohol cooks them).
Stir in sugar, cream, and milk until sugar dissolves.
Beat whites to soft peaks and fold in.
Transfer to punch bowl; grate nutmeg lightly on top.

Ingredients may be divided in any proportion. Modified from a whiskey advertisement recipe in Esquire December 1957.

[FONT=&quot]If you do not wish to risk using raw eggs, there is still a way to make this eggnog, albeit with more difficulty: 1) While stirring, raise the temperature of the dairy-yolk mixture to 160 deg F. 2) Chill. 3) Use pasteurized egg whites now widely available in cartons at the grocery, or use powdered egg whites, following directions contained on the package for mixing and beating. Then add booze.. [/FONT]

S

sullivanpm

I always figured I put enough booze in my homemade egg nog to kill any nasties that were in it.

Addressing some of the problems noted in above messages, here is a solution:
a classic eggnog that I have made over the years. The suggestions for
dealing with salmonella are mine, based on government temperature guidelines.
This is truly great stuff.
1 quart whisky-rum-brandy in any combination
3 pints heavy cream
3 cups sugar
4 quarts milk
nutmeg

Separate eggs.
Blend booze into yolks (the alcohol cooks them).
Stir in sugar, cream, and milk until sugar dissolves.
Beat whites to soft peaks and fold in.
Transfer to punch bowl; grate nutmeg lightly on top.

Ingredients may be divided in any proportion. Modified from a whiskey advertisement recipe in Esquire December 1957.

[FONT=&quot]If you do not wish to risk using raw eggs, there is still a way to make this eggnog, albeit with more difficulty: 1) While stirring, raise the temperature of the dairy-yolk mixture to 160 deg F. 2) Chill. 3) Use pasteurized egg whites now widely available in cartons at the grocery, or use powdered egg whites, following directions contained on the package for mixing and beating. Then add booze.. [/FONT]

Thanks Roadking. I am always on the lookout for nog formulas. This one will be added to the list

Regards, Todd

Hi Chris. Eggnog is one of the true joys of Christmas time. Heck, any time after the fall season hits. I also enjoy Tom and Jerry's but go easy with the brandy. There is something about warmed hard spirit that does shall we say, strange things to your equilibrium.

About your formula(eggnogg is too regal to be referred to as simply a "recipe" or receipt as in days of yore). Is it right thick? I like mine to be thicker than say half and half, but not like the paste from the store. One of the reasons I quit store bought nog and started making my own is the ungodly sweetness and over thick consistency which I believe was due to some thickener like gum or starch. Aside from that it just didn't have enough "eggy" flavour. I vastly prefer home made nogs and haven't bought any from the grocer in ages. I notice you don't cook your eggs and neither do I. I don't care for the taste in nog. Now custards, that is another story but back to the point. I have had fresh nog for years with RAW eggs and nary a problem. While I am all for being careful and trying to eat better and healthier things(did I say that in an eggnog post?)there are certain things I won't give up any time soon. The chippy, raw eggnog, and medium cooked steaks. I'll see myself damned first.

One last thing for those who do this; alcohol in the nog. Normally I don't use any. The recipes(there's that word again) I have seen for Tom and Jerry, eggnog, and glogg(a spiced wine but varies a lot) are usually HEAVY with alcohol. George Washington's eggnog would have gobsmacked a Caribbean sailor. TWO cups of brandy, 1 cup of rye whiskey, 1 cup of dark Jamaica rum, and last but not least, 1/2 cup of cream sherry. Considering that there was only 3/4 cup of sugar and a quart each of cream and milk, this stuff was not for the young! Would someone posit a suggestion as to favoured spirits or amounts per litre of nog? Thank you for the "formula" Chris and JP for re-posting it. I am always on the lookout for new nogs.

Regards, Todd

Hi Todd,

Sorry for the late response, been busy of late. Yes that Nog recipe is right thick! Give it a go and I think you'll be happy.

For those who like their eggs pasturized I think the suggestions that have been given heretofore are workable. I haven't tried any but they sound reasonable.

For spirits, I've had it with brandy and then once with cognac. Either one is good and really it is up to one's preference as to which liquor to use. Some people even drink it with just whiskey in it. I actually prefer mine non-alcoholic.

Hope that helps and I hope you enjoy!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,

Chris

Made the eggnog last night. Tried it today and it is really good! Even the wife likes it. Nobody's become sick from salmonella, either.

I wouldn't worry about dropping the nutmeg into the batter. You could even capitalize on it and start a new Christmas tradition "Bobbing for Nutmeg". Sounds like a real good recipe, very close to "Tom and Jerry" batter we mix up.

Top Bottom