What's new

Newbie Hone Question

Newbie Here,

Been wanting to graduate from my Parker Shavette to a real straight. I'm between jobs, so I've been holding off, but as soon I get re-employed, I'm going to get a sight-unseen from whippeddog per everyone's recommendation. The question is coming...

As far as I can tell (from reading the guide on whippeddog) I have 3 honing options
1. Periodic honing (which I think requires some pricey equipment, yes?)
2. Continual honing (for which I would just need a "small finishing stone" or "fine barber's" hone, plus strop)
3. Send it out to be honed by someone else.

Here's the question: Given that I can't afford any pricey gear, could I do option #2? Get 1 stone and just do "continual honing" myself? Is that fairly easy to learn to do? If so, what would be the best thing to get, and how much do they run? Or if I'm going in the wrong direction, turn me elsewhere!

Thanks in advance!

I am not a honer, so I can't speak to the learning curve on honing. I may have to send my razor out to be honed, but that isn't a major concern for me (gives me an excuse to buy another razor) However, as far as a hone setup, Whipped Dog has a Norton rotation that he sells for $60 and he gives honing tips if you choose to take him up on it. Basically, he sends you a razor, you hone it and send it back, he then emails you with tips to make it better, then sends you another razor, and so on. Granted, his stones are cut down to smaller sizes, but they are big enough to get the job done and you can get a rotation for less than one new Norton stone and a lot less than a coticule or Japanese stone. Just something to consider.

Legion

Staff member
Yes, option two will keep you going... indefinitely, if you don't screw it up.

You could also keep going for a long time with CrOx on a flat surface like balsa, and that is harder to get wrong.

Yes, option two will keep you going... indefinitely, if you don't screw it up.

You could also keep going for a long time with CrOx on a flat surface like balsa, and that is harder to get wrong.

What kind of barber's hone would you suggest for option 2?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The thing about the different edges of of different hones is that they all give different "face feels". While you may be able to maintain a stubble cutting edge off a barber's hones, how the edge feels on your skin, and therefore the satisfaction you feel after a shave is an unknown variable.
To be truthful it is unlikely that as a new straight shaver you will be able to maintain the edge on that first razor you put to your face for any appreciable length off time. This could be a few hours to a few weeks :). I would second Legion's advice and use a pasted balsa strop to maintain the edge as you learn the fine art of straight shaving. If you muck up the edge send it out and be more careful next time.
Then when you can shave well enough go look for some hones.

BUT if you absolutely HAVE to try honing from the get go, I would pass on the barber's hone and get a coticule bout.

Legion

Staff member
^What Kirk said. A coticule will be more versatile, and IMO give a better edge than a barber hone. But it will cost a bit more.

If money is of concern at the moment just use the balsa and CrOx. Cheap, easy to use, leaves a nice edge. Or maybe a C-Nat

One day you may need to use a stone if you just have balsa, but by that time you will know if straight shaving is definitely for you, and you wont mind buying some proper hones.

I have a couple of barber hones I bought when I started, and have hardly touched them. When I was new and didn't have the muscle memory I found the small size hard to use. Then I bought some big hones and didn't need them any more.

If I had the choice between doing ten laps on a barber hone or a hundred on a big fine C-Nat of the same price, I'd take the C-Nat any day. It's not like I am a barber with customers waiting.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A large honing surface is easier to learn on, especially if your edge is pretty straight. For that reason, and many more, I recommend a 4" x 12" polished marble edge tile and a sheet each of 3u and 1u lapping film. You could maybe get by with just the 1u, actually. Superb edge, consistently, early in the learning process. You can easily upgrade your kit so that you can do bevel setting or full-blown edge repair, by getting coarser grades of film and some wet/dry paper. The whole kit is cheap, light and compact, especially considering the vast amount of honing real estate you get.

A barber hone will work but few are big enough to suit me. A coti can be had pretty big, but the big ones are expensive. Most coti honers just get along with narrow hones, 2" or smaller, and get used to it. The Naniwa Superstone 12k is a nice finisher, and big enough. Cheaper than same size coti, but not as versatile. A coti can do a LOT of different honing chores, once you master it. A pasted balsa will help stretch out the life of an edge, but eventually you will want to hone it. All in all, I think film is the way to go, and it won't disappoint you. And you get in the game for less than $10.

Top Bottom