What's new

New to the forum, finally attained that "perfect shave"

Good morning Gents,

Have been lurking the forum a while during my search for what many have described to be the perfect shave. As always YMMV, but I've found that by listening to a lot of the advice given on this board (Razor, blade brand, shaving cream/soap) I can say that I have finally found what works for me.

A little personal shaving history:

I've done the regular cartridge Mach super fusion pro gizmo 3000 since I started shaving in my teen's, and of course cream from a can (the blue goo) applied with my fingers. The quality of my shaves were ok, but I've always had irritation at the base of my neck to the right and left of my adams apple.

My introduction to wet shaving came as almost an accident, 2 years ago fathers day; A couple day's prior to that I was on the search for something unique to give the pops and stumbled on DE razors and the whole lot. Being the curious person that I am, I did some - but not enough - research into what I've now discovered to be a generously large community of different products, styles and brands. At the time I remember reading all the different articles on all the great benefits of DE shaving and was pretty much sold.

So, on to the internet I went, found the first shaving supply store with a nice DE kit (Razor, Brush, Soap, Stand, Bowl) and made the purchase. I was even interested in trying it myself that I went ahead and ordered myself one too!

The razors: Parker 96r (Mine), The Dad's razor is unknown model, but its a Parker brand (Butterfly opening, non adjustable)
Blade: Lord, Feather (respectively)
Brush: Not sure of the brand, but they sent us great badger hair brushes. No complaints here.
Soap: Classic shaving

Ok, so this whole thing was really exciting to me, 1 blade, cool looking razor, soap not pressurized goo, a brush and a bowl?! I felt like I was the barber of Seville :lol:

So after following all the tutorials I got started. Prepped my face, got a nice lather going, 30º angle, no pressure, and away I went.

Worst. Shave. Of. My. Life.
Weepers, bumps, irritation.

A rake would have been better.

My heart sank. I literally thought to myself, this is all a rue. All these DE guys are just a bunch of liars!

Looking back (before I finally attained my "perfect shave") you have to remember, I didn't know anything about blades, or different styles of razors. The soap was ok, and I eventually stopped using the canned cream and used only the soap when I switched back to the cartridge razors. It was a decent improvement over the goo.

Well, my Dad had a similar experience, and he recalled that he use to use a DE razor when he was younger and didn't enjoy the shave's then. So I thought to myself, ok, must be that only certain people with a certain skin can use these razors.

At the time, one good thing came out of buying those DE kits, my pops and I now only used the brush and soap to shave our faces. The razors: Into the medicine cabinet they went.

Well, over the past 2 years a lot has changed. I joined the military, got stationed 3000 miles away from home, and still used cartridge razors. Until now.

You see, I still for some reason still brought with me my never used DE razor. Every time I reached into my medicine cabinet I said "I'm going to figure you out eventually." And then proceeded to hack away with the cartridges.

Recently, I started doing a little more intelligent research (lurking these boards a lot), and learned a lot about the different types of razors, BLADES, and soap/cream products. I started figuring out that, first: My razor was most likely too aggressive, and blade probably too sharp. My face prep was correct, and I was lathering my face correctly.

So I had to start new. I ponied up and bought a nice Merkur 34c HD. I visited a local shaving shop in NYC and left with 2 blades to try: Derby, and Gillette Silver Blue's.

The next morning I was ready. I loaded a Derby into my 96r, and away I went on a 2 day growth.

Not bad, slight irritation, and a little tugging. A 2 pass WTG and XTG was required and it left me with great results, definitely smoother and closer than any cartridge has given me. Ever.

Finally, finally I was headed in the right direction.

The following morning I loaded up the 34c with a Silver Blue.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Amazing shave.

I was sliding (more like gliding) this razor on my face with no resistance, no irritation, no nothing. I even had one of those "Checked my razor to see if it had a blade" moments. 2 pass WTG, XTG (Above the jaw line)

I finally made it.

All I can say - from a former lurker turned happy wet shaver - is thank you for the advice.

To wrap things up, I went back and tried the different blades in the 96r and there was no improvement. I did notice some difference in blade seating compared to the Merkur; Where the HD had a nice straight blade, the 96r looked like it was not seating correctly, and bowed downwards at the edges.

I've been using the GSB's with fantastic results this week and ordered myself 200 of those bad boys. My hair appears to be growing "naturally" out of my face and shaves off cleanly. No more 4 blade abuse.

I've been using Van Der Haggen soap (its what they had at the closest pharmacy) recently, but have some Proraso soap on the way. 2 after shave balms I use with great results (alternating sometimes) are a basic Nivea post shave balm, and the Cool Fix by shave works.

I'll be home for the Holidays and will have a blade sampler pack (and HD) along with me for the old man to try out.

~Happy shaving!

High five!

The 34C is my weapon of choice as well - I like it better even than my 11C open comb and my 39C slant-bar. I might eventually try an Edwin Jagger or a Mühle, but frankly I'm in no hurry to do so.

Thank you for joining/serving in USA military and for joining B&B. I am from Jersey too and i feel proud of you. I love your story and how you hung in there after the failed attempts. I know that Traditional wet shaving can be misleading at first and many people give up too soon. Please keep us posted on your progress when you receive the 200 blades and samplers. Have a great time home for the holidays too.

Zoltan, glad that you came in out of the shadows, welcome!

Another Merkur 34 fan here. Enjoy your enhanced, new shaves.

If you go to NYC often, you should check out Pasteur's Pharmacy. Just to be safe you might want to leave any credit cards at home.

Thank you for joining/serving in USA military and for joining B&B. I am from Jersey too and i feel proud of you. I love your story and how you hung in there after the failed attempts. I know that Traditional wet shaving can be misleading at first and many people give up too soon. Please keep us posted on your progress when you receive the 200 blades and samplers. Have a great time home for the holidays too.

Thank you Sir for your kind words, they are much appreciated!

And I will most definitely keep everyone posted.

If you go to NYC often, you should check out Pasteur's Pharmacy. Just to be safe you might want to leave any credit cards at home.

Excellent! Being a person who still enjoys "Shopping locally" I really enjoy actually being able to go to a store and interact with my (soon to be) purchases.

Nice story. What store in NYC did you visit

The New York Shaving Company. Funny story, while I was in there asking a little about the different blades and razors the gentlemen helping me accidentally cut himself on one of the DE blades sitting on the counter. He was only trying to pick the blade up and literally with a light touch he got the tip of his finger. We didn't realize it until we saw the blood on the counter.

I felt so bad.

Pasteur's is a place unto itself. The staff is a bit more like librarians than experts. The place is literally jam packed with tons of shaving stuff, as well as just about every shampoo, soap, and cosmetic product ever made. And it's tiny. Actually I think there are two in Manhattan.

Pasteur's is a place unto itself. The staff is a bit more like librarians than experts. The place is literally jam packed with tons of shaving stuff, as well as just about every shampoo, soap, and cosmetic product ever made. And it's tiny. Actually I think there are two in Manhattan.

Awesome, looks like I'll add this to my "to-do" list!

I wonder if there's anything like that store in the San Francisco Bay Area that I could go to?

Last edited:
Awesome, looks like I'll add this to my "to-do" list!

I wonder if there's anything like that store in the San Francisco Bay Area that I could go to?

Your best shot is AoS

845 Market St
Ste 189
(at Cable Car Turnaround)
San Francisco, CA 94103
Neighborhoods: Union Square, SoMa
(415) 541-9801

Top Bottom