What's new

New (to me) DOVO #41 - Genuine MOP Scales

Picked this one up in the classifieds from another forum last week. The pictures were OK, however, I must admit that the Genuine MOP scales really stand out in-person and are far prettier than I imagined. Overall condition of the razor is flawless. I did reset the bevel and hone with tape (I do this to all new-to-me acquisitions that don't come directly from retailers) just to set it how I like it for future honing (gets the hard work out of the way). I was told this is a limited production series, however information is pretty scattered and I can't find much about these...so any insight would be appreciated. It appears to be fairly recent production. Pics below!
1st with flash showing a bit more of the blade:
$IMG_2505.jpg
Without the flash shows the depth of the MOP scales a bit better:
$IMG_2506.jpg

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I owned one and I agree the MOP scales are absolutely SUPERB. The scales however in my opinion dominate the razor and the simple INOX 5/8 blade seems out of balance when held in the hand. Had the blade component been more substantial, I would still have this one. I will be interested if you find yours in a better balance. I don't mean to plant a seed of doubt but simply telling of my experience.

I owned one and I agree the MOP scales are absolutely SUPERB. The scales however in my opinion dominate the razor and the simple INOX 5/8 blade seems out of balance when held in the hand. Had the blade component been more substantial, I would still have this one. I will be interested if you find yours in a better balance. I don't mean to plant a seed of doubt but simply telling of my experience.
I shaved with it last night and found it to be good. I agree the scales do tip the balance a little bit, but to me it was fine (nothing that bothered me immensely by any means). I have several more razors that have overly heavy blades (thinking Koraat at the moment) I enjoy shaving with immensely even though there is a bit of a balance issue.

Great shaver. The stainless took a bit on the 1k to get right (as most of them do), but it took a heck of an edge and shaved nicely.

I am in love with the scales though...

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Oh yes! The scales are the very best! I probably should have kept mine for that reason alone. Large slabs of MOP are uncommon no doubt.

I shaved with it last night and found it to be good. I agree the scales do tip the balance a little bit, but to me it was fine (nothing that bothered me immensely by any means). I have several more razors that have overly heavy blades (thinking Koraat at the moment) I enjoy shaving with immensely even though there is a bit of a balance issue.

Great shaver. The stainless took a bit on the 1k to get right (as most of them do), but it took a heck of an edge and shaved nicely.

I am in love with the scales though...

I have a Dovo #41, LOVE the smooth shave!

I dont have the pearl scales.

Personally, I have always thought stock Dovo scales are waaaay too boxy and clunky. lIke they simply band sawed out the outline and called it good at that.

If I had one of those beauties, I'd demount the scales, and round over the corners, shaping them like they "should" be. That would likely help with the weight imbalance to some degree as well. The #41 is an elegant blade, not a beefy chopper. It deserves more refined scales, IMHO.

Nice razor though!

Top Bottom