What's new

New to DE and going Straight also

Hello everyone,
I started DE shaving a few weeks ago,using a vintage Gillette DE (Im not sure what model it is) and so far,Ive gotten the hang of it,but im also going to try the straight razor and need lots of advice.I recently purchased from the bay a vintage Colonial straight razor ,which was honed by Mike "Modine" Hinkley (Great job by the way),but I still need lots of info on strops,stropping techniques,and what all will I need .I need to know all Im going to need for this.Do I know I need a strop,but am I going to need all the strop dressings,hones,etc Ive been reading about for this?I dont want to break the bank going straight razor.Ive practiced with a Magic Shavette a couple of times with decent results.Only a couple of nicks here and there,but no major blood loss,but still need to work on my technique and was told a really straight is more forgiving than a shavette.Mike also told me my razor needs to be kept oiled after each use,and need to know what kind of oil I should use on it.I basically need to know what kind of maintenence is involved with these,like when to strop,when not to strop,how many times will I need to get it honed.Ive seen many different strops,some with leather and canvas on each side,and some with felt and what not,so Im confused as to what strop I need,and strop care.The blade came with a small "barber" hone,not sure what use this could be to me.I dont want to spend $100s of dollars either and dont need the fanciest stuff there is.Just what will work.
Thanks for anyone that can help.

Last edited:
Welcome to straight razor shaving, Lou! What I did, when taking my very first steps at straight razor shaving was to read many of the stickies found here.

You likely have 3/4 of the gear you will need to start... a shaving brush, shaving soap, and a straight razor. So you are well ahead! What you need now is a strop. Personally, I bought the cheapest strop I was comfortable with, since I knew that I would be playing with it and would ding it all up. Whipped Dog sells just such a strop and much more!

I found reading the journals here immensely helpful, too. Most, if not all, the mistakes you are going to make have already been made. The journals are a great way to see that you are progressing just fine with your shaves.

Good luck and the great shaves will come.

thank you!And glad to be aboard.I was looking at the Whipped Dog strops also,still havent decided which one to get.I almost made the mistake of buying a "cheapie" razor and strop set off the bay ,like Beauty & Barber until I read into it more and found they are made of inferior metals and are difficult to hone,so im glad I didnt waste my money.Thinks for the stickies,ill study them,get what I need,and get the styptic pencil handy,lol.Yes,I have the mug,soap(VDH)and just purchased a badger brush from Target,not the greatest ,but feels better than the boar(didnt like the feel of the boar bristle)
Sorry for the 100 questions.And thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom