What's new

Need to buy a new pocket folder

Going on a road trip, no firearms allowed due to state laws.

I want to have something in my pocket, not too cheap but I don't want to cry for a week if I lose it or if it gets confiscated. Based on what I have read, state and local regulations, it has to be a folder, it cannot be spring loaded, and it has to be UNDER 3".

I would like something light, with a thumb hole rather than a thumb stud, and a clip. Made in the USA (preferred), Europe or Japan. Non serrated.

Examples of what I seen so far, but I am looking for suggestions since I am not up to speed with current knife production:

Buck 726 Mini SpitFire, $45.

726 Mini SpitFire.jpg

Spyderco Delica 4 Lightweight, $86.

Delica 4.jpg

I am quite sure about the quality of the Delica. I do not have extensive experience with the brand but my wife and I both had the Dragonfly. Good quality little knives. The only reason we have not bought them again is because we know that the moment we do, the old ones would pop up from an obvious place.
I am very familiar with Buck instead, I have several of their knives, and I have never been disappointed. My EDC is a 336, signed by CJ Buck. In truth I have a Alpha Dorado (270) with would work for the purpose, but for some reasons I don't want to use it (including the fact that I have just cut myself while examining it
:scared:
:lol:
).

Plus it's a good excuse to buy one more knife...

There is a KaBar Dozier Hunter with a thumbhole that might fit the bill.
Thank you. Unfortunately it is exactly 3". It is also made in Taiwan.

I have a box of old knives in the basement. The oldest being my boy scout style knife from the late 50s. Most are junk compared to modern knives. My everyday pocket carry knife for the past 13 years is a Spyderco Delica 4. Best knife for the money. Been carrying it clipped to my jean pocket for 13 years. I also have several Honey Badger claw knives, smooth and serrated. I keep the serrated in my car console, the smooth on my desk for opening mail. The Spyderco is sharper and holds an edge longer.

In my car trunk is a 4" Mora sheath, and a multitool. When my wife and I go for walks, I shove the Mora sheath in my front jean pocket, with the knife loose in the sheath. Too many news stories about dog attacks. In my wife's glove box I have a Columbia River knife CRKT M16-13ZLEK, mainly for trips as it has a seat belt cutter. Nice knife, but a bit thick and heavy for pocket carry.

You can't go wrong with the Delica. There's also the Buck 112 Slim Pro Trx, which is a bit more than your Delica price but US made and has s30v steel. Also the Buck 110/112 Silm Select, at $30 bucks buy a few. They do both have thumb studs, so don't meet all your criteria.

Those two Buck's unfortunately are exactly 3".

Based on what you guys said and on my experience with the Draagonfly's, I think I am sold on the Spyderco,
however I decided to give the Para 3 a try. Still under 3" which is what I need, it's $30 more than the Delica, but I want to try the compression lock (which until now I did not even know it existed...).

Since I was there I ordered a Para 2 in micarta as well with a CRU-WEAR blade which seems to be interesting. if I like it I may retire my Buck 336 as EDC.

Thank you!

Last edited:
I did not like the G10 on the Para 3. And I did not like the lightweight version as well, too light.
I decided for a Sage 5. The G10 of the handle is laminated with carbon fiber, and it has a less aggressive grip than the G10.
The Para 2 is a large knife, with a big handle. I really like it but I am not sure if it is going to replace my Buck 336 or if I am going to keep it for when I go hunting.
Of course I have already cut myself few times while practicing the "one-hand action" ....

IMG_8557.jpeg

IMG_8553.jpeg

Beautiful knives though.

Top Bottom