What's new

My Veg experience, Mark II Or "How I learned to love the Veg"

My first exposure was a similar experience like many others have had. I was in a Christmas Tree Shoppe, and on the shelf of AS's, was a bottle of the Veg, seal already broken, sitting on the shelf. Like many, I was also skeptical that something reported to smell as bad as many said could have continued to be a viable product for as long as the Veg has been around. I couldn't pass on the free chance to give it a test. Opening the bottle I caught an immediate whiff, and wondered if this bottle had maybe turned, gone bad or rancid. What number of felines did they need to produce this green +20 Juice of Revolting?

Knowing that it is always said, do not trust the scent of AS/cologne from the bottle, I dabbed some onto my hand, and applied it to just my arm. Being there with friends, including one who is also a shaving enthusiast, I stuck out my arm and asked him his opinion. His first reaction to it was "*** did you brush against in the parking lot??". I pointed to the bottle of the Veg, and I saw the rapid math his mind did, at which point he concluded "OK, so it does smell as bad as they all said it does... good to know.". The LotH was also with us, as she came by, I asked her what she thought... I was told I had to ride in the way back of the car, away from her, till I could wash it off or cover up the scent.

Fast forward half a year to last week or so, maybe 2 weeks ago... A conversation about the Veg started in a thread here (as they always seem to do), and I posted my very straightforward opinion based on my meeting that fateful day with the green monster from the bowels of the bottle (as many of us always seem to do when the conversation turns to the Veg in a thread here). I got a message from a member asking if I'd ever tried it after it had been decanted into glass, claiming that really changes the overall experience and product. I was skeptical, as you can imagine. The member (who can reveal themselves if they chose to) sent me a sample they had decanted into glass already, in a small glass vial, to give it a fair trial.

Immediately upon opening the glass vial, I could tell there was a difference... I could detect floral, lilacs... but something was missing... oh, yeah... it didn't have that terrible smell that should have caused dogs to want to bury it in the back yard after rolling in it. How odd... it was different. My first actual use after a shave, it was sort of just OK, neutral. I didn't hate it, but I could also leave it. I used it a second time, the LotH didn't even really notice yet, but wasn't trying to push me into the shower with a long handled broom, either. This morning I used some Rose of Bulgaria cream, and finished with some Veg, and after half an hour, suddenly found myself putting another dose on... a liberal dose... wait, this can't be... what has the Veg done to my brain?? *sigh* But, there is not denying it... I am a convert now, and once I'm cleared to make purchases, I will be getting more Veg, and decanting it into glass.

Hello all, I'm Rat... and I'm a Veg head.

Well this thread worked out well LOL. I guess no one wants to hear about a convert who used to hate the VEG.

Hey Rat,

Is this our new NIB lounge thread? All we need is Justin and Jessy LOL

Well this thread worked out well LOL. I guess no one wants to hear about a convert who used to hate the VEG.

Hey Rat,

It could very well be... and maybe it was just too much text for people to read. I tried to keep it broken up, and interesting... lol

Hey Rat,

Naw, heck this is a great thread! I recently decanted some Veg into glass, but I also added about 30-40% Tres Flores aftershave as well. Now they both smell better! There's only about an ounce or so left, when that's gone I'll try pure Veg in the glass. I'm glad to hear you converted to the wonder that is the Veg!

I've been hunting for a nice, cheap glass bottle for weeks with no luck. Any tips? Would a cooking oil dispenser work?

Tabasco or hot sauce bottles work really well from what i'm told. They already have a reducer in them making it easy to shake some out without it pouring out. Just make sure you clean the bottles and cap very well. There are some online places that sell bottles and reducers.

I got lucky and found a vintage glass VEG bottle, but they're certainly not required.

I guess I'll have to try decanting The Veg into glass at some point, but, really, I think it's fine out of the plastic bottle.

It's a mistake to judge The Veg by how it smells right after you put it on. You've got to wait for 10 minutes or so while it diffuses and interacts with your body chemistry. That's when the magic happens -- or doesn't.

Last edited:
Way before I converted to real wet shaving (minus carts and goo), in the 1980's, I discovered the Veg in a drug store. It was cheap and so was I. I liked it and no one doused me with tomato juice to kill the smell, so I used it for years. Then years of beard abuse began to cause regular razor burn and I switched to an unscented witch hazel. Now, after a couple years of wet shaving with a DE, soap, and brush, I have been on a Bay Rum kick and love Domenica. But, all this talk makes me miss the old Veg so the time has come. Would it work if I decant it into an old Domenica bottle, one that has been through the dishwasher?

I guess I'll have to try decanting The Veg into glass at some point, ...

I just happened to finish up one of these bottles of hot sauce, so..... The El Yucateco bottle doesn't have a regulator per se, but the neck is narrow enough for a controlled pour. Anyway, it's The Veg -- what's control go to do with it?

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the suggestions on glass bottles! I will look in some more antique shops and thrift shops, but if I still have no luck I think I will go the hot sauce bottle route. I would rather find this bottle at a brick and mortar type of place.

Thanks!

That is darn sweet looking!

Your turn now. I had fun making it. I used the hot water inside the bottle treatment and it worked well. I messed it up a little, because I applied and reapplied several times to try and make it even.

The best part about this method is I can give it another try when I reorder another plastic bottle.

Your turn now. I had fun making it. I used the hot water inside the bottle treatment and it worked well. I messed it up a little, because I applied and reapplied several times to try and make it even.

The best part about this method is I can give it another try when I reorder another plastic bottle.

I should have a pic for you to check out tomorrow night on my decants. No other details yet, it'll be a surprise. lol

Very cool, Rat and Christopher. I have never tried the Veg, but I do have quite a few empty hot sauce bottles around. I think I may start decanting some to see how it works.

Top Bottom