What's new

My Experience... so far

Hello gents,

I wanted to keep up my end of a bargin and share with you all the progress I've made and some things that I have learned that may or may not help others who might be having similar issues. I have always had a problem with razor burn, irritation and ingrown hairs.

I have been DE shaving for about 2 months now. I too was tired of the cartridge prices and the discomfort of everyday shaving. I stumbled upon this great resource and jumped in head first. I bought an HD, V-2234, and a bunch of creams and lotions. I have now learned too many creams and lotions.

Today I can say that most of my problems are eliminated. If I overwork some areas I will find I get myself into some trouble. I still have a weird phenomenon where some areas of my beard have trouble growing under the skin for 2-3 days. But that's not as bad as it used to be. So there is my evidence that DE shaving is more beneficial and effective.

What I've learned:

Prep is the foundation to getting a good shave. I nuke up a mug of water 2 mins. Then soak the razor to help disinfect. And I put the brush in with the razor to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I then apply Proraso Pre/Post to my face. Next I soak a washcloth in warm water and let it sit on my face for 2-3 mins. rewarming the washcloth if I need to. Thanks Kyle & Ron!!!

Proraso Cream works best for me. That not all the creams and potions will work for me as much as I want them to. They all sound so great but the idea is to get good results not own all the shaving creams created in the modern world.

I had to give up on the HD it was just too much for me. I use a Gillette adj. around setting #3. I know that many poo poo the adj's. for newbies. My opinion is that a newbie should start out with the least amount of blade exposure possible and the only way to do so is with an adj.

To make sure that there is some lather between the blade and my skin or irritation will occur.

To take things slow in the beginning. That 1-2 inch short strokes work best. Not the long sweeping stokes you see in those commercials.

To hold the razor closer to the bottom of the handle. And let the razor do the work.

To shake out all the excess water in the razor head. To minimize the water from washing off all the lather on my face before the blade gets there.

Not to go over and over and over a spot.

That Thayer's Super Witchhazel helps calm my face down after a rough shave.

That I will be having a shave den sale soon.

That the folks here on B&B are the best!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------

That said I have lots more that I want to learn about like:

Soaps
Brushes
Colognes
Aftershaves
And just being a gentleman in general.

Thanks everyone that helped me get this far!!!

A

AVB19Peace

Tito said:
They all sound so great but the idea is to get good results not own all the shaving creams created in the modern world.
From what I've seen so far, I think some might disagree with you on this one. :wink:

Tito said:
To shake out all the excess water in the razor head. To minimize the water from washing off all the lather on my face before the blade gets there.
I just learned this too. I wasn't shaking out the water from the razor head and it would do exactly as you said.

I really need to learn better lathering. I've only used Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocodo & Proraso Creams, which are excellent, and my lather has been pretty good, but not great. I've seen the posts on here for lathering, but it's not, just right, yet.

I just got some soaps from Mama Bear which are great, but I feel like I have to learn lathering from scratch again on soaps. I can't get the lather with soaps right at all. I've only been at it two days with soap so I'll give myself a break. :)

Thanks for the update Tito. It's helpful for newbies to wet shaving like me.

Great post, Tito! Sounds like you've approached this obsession wisely--now, what do you have to sell me?:tongue:

It is a great post. I agree with all of it.

I'm still working on getting my lather just right. It really is so key.

Great point about getting the water out of the razor.

And most of all, patience.

As a newbie, I've been so impressed with Proraso over the other creams I've aquired. I really wish I'd gotten it first.

AVB19Peace said:
I just got some soaps from Mama Bear which are great, but I feel like I have to learn lathering from scratch again on soaps. I can't get the lather with soaps right at all. I've only been at it two days with soap so I'll give myself a break. :)

The big tip for me, maybe you're already doing this, was to run hot water over hard soaps and let it set for 30s - 1 min or so. It came from this tutorial

Although I had a wierd experience with Honeybee soaps last night. If I use much water at all the lather was quite thin. But with just a little water it worked up great. Try just playing around with lathering soap when you have some time to spare.

Tito said:
They all sound so great but the idea is to get good results not own all the shaving creams created in the modern world.

That said I have lots more that I want to learn about like:

Soaps
Brushes
Colognes
Aftershaves
And just being a gentleman in general.

!!

Who says its not a good idea to own all the creams in the world?

Resistance is futile!!!!

good update- glad to hear that your shaves and technique have improved.

Marty

AVB19Peace said:
I really need to learn better lathering. I've only used Taylor of Old Bond Street Avocodo & Proraso Creams, which are excellent, and my lather has been pretty good, but not great. I've seen the posts on here for lathering, but it's not, just right, yet.
I'm always interested to hear something like this. I have such a hard time with creams, but with a good soap, the lather just explodes. I love my QED soap (Tangerine & Spearmint, though other scents are tantalizing...) and I've never had trouble with lather. I soak the brush and shake it off until hardly any water comes out. A few swirls on top of the soap and wham! Foamy delight.

I suppose it could be my brush, a Savile Row SR-204 super badger. Is it possible that this brush holds the right amount of water for soaps but not creams? I doubt it, and I think I just need more cream lathering practice, but it's possible.

Tito: It sounds like you're absolutely on the right path. Fun is the key! :biggrin1: I also love the nod to being a gentleman.

Tom,

I don't think the water capacity of your brush should stop you from getting a good lather. One of the better pieces of advice I've received when having trouble lathering is to start with too little water, and keep adding a little at a time till it is right. Good luck.

disclaimer - I am a relative newbie too (I feel a concern with these forums is us relative newbies stating things with authority like we'd been doing if for years).

moses said:
disclaimer - I am a relative newbie too (I feel a concern with these forums is us relative newbies stating things with authority like we'd been doing if for years).
I'm a newbie too, but I don't think I know enough to state anything with even fake authority yet :tongue:

moses said:
I don't think the water capacity of your brush should stop you from getting a good lather. One of the better pieces of advice I've received when having trouble lathering is to start with too little water, and keep adding a little at a time till it is right. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I've definitely tried drop-by-drop addition, all the way from bone dry to sloshing wet. I just can't get anything built up! I'm going to spend some time this morning watching those new tutorial videos, see if I can pick anything up...

Just a thought, and not everyone will agree: a nice swipe over your face with an alum bar after the cold-water rinse following your shave is (for me, YMMV) a fine topper. I then let it sit while I clean up and put away the razor, brush, lathering bowl, then dry and apply an aftershave.

Top Bottom