What's new

Modern scents are disappointing - is it just me?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Scents should be subtle and gentle and not offensive. But I think you should ask a young person whether they notice the smell or not and stick to that amount.
The issue is that what is offensive to one may not be to another. Very little offends me and I have certainly never been offended by a scent, I simply like some and dislike others. I do not want a cologne that fades to a 'skin scent' in an hour and I like bold scents of the type that were prevalent in the 1970s and 1980s. I understand that fashions change and that gentle unisex fragrances seem to be in vogue right now but I do not care for them. When I started office work in the 1980s people wore what they wanted and nobody was offended by scents or by much else. Maybe the scents I like and the amount I apply are no longer appropriate and some may choose to be offended, but that is their choice and I don't really care. After all, we wear scents for ourselves and not for others, at least that is what I keep reading. In any case I work at home these days, probably a good thing for all concerned. Now, get off my lawn👍

Maybe I should draw a distinction.

Offensive - what I mean is dowsing oneself in it. If people can’t be on an elevator with you because it is too strong, that is offensive. Versus something I may just dislike the scent of but whatever.

Perhaps look into niche or Indie sources that aren’t so geared to mass consumption and sales. I agree the big box designers are about churning “disposable” fragrances where you have to keep applying in order to keep some longevity. That translates to buying more.

It can be somewhat of challenge for some of these niche players to find and test out, but the internet is a way to have samples shipped.

Take Rogue for instance. Boutique that doesn’t follow the IFRA regs. Some really interesting things going on there and for an EDT I find the longevity is be EDP level. They offer samples and will ship those. I’m sure they’re not the only shop to offer this kind of flexibility.

I use artisan attars (perfume oils) or extrait de parfum (40-45% of essential oils). They are not more expensive, only natural ingredients without sharp chemical notes, skin friendly, last for 10-14 hours on skin. None of them is IFRA regulated. Santa Maria , for instance is a pure Mysore sandalwood oil based spray perfume (45% concentration) that easily lasts 14 hours on skin and days on clothes. The artisan is Startup Aromas. The perfumer Eric Rana has some really magical perfumes. If you want to try attars but you are afraid that some Eastern perfumes may not be for you, Maison Anthony Marmin, now based in Dubai is the place to start in my opinion.

Modern scents are disappointing, or is it just I?

Probably it's some of each. However, as we age our sense of smell (among other traits) does deteriorate.

I can't speak about longevity, but I do find a lot of the new famous fragrances to be boring. Aquatics and "blue" fragrances seem to be hot, but these notes don't smell like anything to me. It's like there's a hole in the fragrance profile.

It also seems to me that a lot of the popular frags are just copies of each other. Maybe it's just my nose.
I cannot stand modern aquatics they all smell the same and it's what everyone is wearing. I'm not a fan of the overly citrus notes they have. I prefer sweeter scents. An example is Polo Blue my co worker would wear it early in the morning and it would drive me nuts, I couldn't stand the grapefruit peel scent it has it's terrible. I prefer things like vanilla, tobacco, leather, and powdery notes. The only time I find an aquatic suitable is if the weather is very hot but people just over do it in general.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been wearing:

Escada pour Homme by Escada is a Amber fragrance for men. Escada pour Homme was launched in 1993. Top notes are Cognac, Orange, Lavender, Bergamot and Italian Lemon; middle notes are Cinnamon, Carnation, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Caraway, Juniper, Bay Leaf and Geranium; base notes are Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Patchouli and Musk

for decades now. I even have an extra bottle of it.... I'm set for life.

I've been wearing:

Escada pour Homme by Escada is a Amber fragrance for men. Escada pour Homme was launched in 1993. Top notes are Cognac, Orange, Lavender, Bergamot and Italian Lemon; middle notes are Cinnamon, Carnation, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Caraway, Juniper, Bay Leaf and Geranium; base notes are Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Patchouli and Musk

for decades now. I even have an extra bottle of it.... I'm set for life.
The notes sound amazing.

Top Bottom