What's new

Merkur Solingen Heavy Duty Slant Bar Safety Razor (37C)

This has turned out to be a massive waste of money.

I bought it because I wanted something to give a close shave for my thick beard and it’s been anything but.

Have tried multiple blades.

My 20 year old Merkur’s Double Edge Barber Pole Razor gives a closer shave.

What gives?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
What gives?
Dunno, sounds odd to me. I've got a few, some 50 years old (model 37) and some new 37C and 37G razors and they all seem to work a treat on my coarse stubble. Any old blade, I'm not picky.

I don't worry about blade alignment, some guys try to make it parallel to the cap, others wiggle it around to whatever but I simply put it over the cap posts and clamp down.

Looks like this usually. Wider at one end than the other.
full

full

Dunno, sounds odd to me. I've got a few, some 50 years old (model 37) and some new 37C and 37G razors and they all seem to work a treat on my coarse stubble. Any old blade, I'm not picky.

I don't worry about blade alignment, some guys try to make it parallel to the cap, others wiggle it around to whatever but I simply put it over the cap posts and clamp down.
Exactly what I do. I've literally tried out hundreds of razors, and the Merkur 37 ended as my "daily" driver. Between quotes as I don't shave every day.

What gives?

Hard to say, maybe you could give us a few more details? If this razor does seem to work well for many people with a heavy beard, then why assume the razor is no good? I've found the Merkur slants (or similar) razors to give a very close and smooth shave with blades such as Nacet or Perma-Sharp Super. Also, Gillette Silver Blue or 7 O'clock Super Stainless.

This has got me scratching my head too...

I find the 37C to be a superb razor. It is mild, very comfortable and has little blade feel. Yet despite these benign qualities it is surprisingly efficient. Blade alignment is always perfect too 👌

I‘m seconding if you’ve tried a permasharp? I found this style of razor to be very picky regarding the blade it likes. Too sharp and it’s vicious, too mild and it’s horrible. Of course the blade is very dependent on the person, but that’s been my observation with the Merkur Slant. Once you find the perfect blade the razor is amazing.

Top Bottom