What's new

Macro work with extension tubes

I've been hemming and hawing over getting a set of extension tubes for my Canon EOS system. This is more of a want than a need :)

I'm not sure how much I would truly gain in macro utility versus simply sticking with my 100mm EF 1:1 macro lens. Then there is the cost...Canon EF and EF-S mount compatible tubes are pricey but there are third party alternatives that cut cost dramatically with little to no apparent negative functionality consequences.

Hmm...decisions, decisions.

Thoughts? Do you use tubes with any regularity?

Extension tubes are awesome, no glass to interfere, a cheap way to move beyond 1:1 also useful beyond the macro for bringing that focus point just a touch closer with maybe another favourite lens

Extension tubes are awesome, no glass to interfere, a cheap way to move beyond 1:1 also useful beyond the macro for bringing that focus point just a touch closer with maybe another favourite lens

After doing much research I finally found and pulled the trigger on a used/good condition Canon EF-25 tube.

That and an MR-14EX macro ring light and I'll have enough to keep me occupied for a little while :)

So my EF-25 (25mm) extension tube is at hand :). An extremely quick preliminary comparison of my 100mm f2.8 macro at its closest focusing distance (1:1) both with and without the tube. Both exposures at f16, ISO 6400.

With the 100mm macro (actual 160mm with 1.6X APS-C sensor) focused at its closest working distance of approximately 11.5cm (rough measurement using my cloth tape measure) from lens surface to subject:

proxy.php

...and with 25mm extension tube, which reduced lens to subject distance by that amount:

proxy.php

Autofocus is definitely out using the extension tube...though technically possible (all lens contacts are passed through to the camera body), the lens whirs and hunts back and forth before finally giving up. Manual is the way to go here. This certainly will be a useful addition to the macro bag :)

Bellows, thought mostly used on slide duplicators, can be a very versatile way to get macro shots

proxy.php

Bellows, thought mostly used on slide duplicators, can be a very versatile way to get macro shots

proxy.php

A bellows with a 100 mm macro lens atop a sturdy tripod with an Arca Swiss ball head is wonderful. Tubes are also really great and to my mind, under-rated. People don't generally seem to know about them. Far fewer know about bellows.

Went down to the darkroom and snapped some pics of my slide duplicator. Been a LONG time since the dust cover came off of this puppy.

It has a Novoflex (German) bellows and a Schneider 60mm/F5.6 flat field Componon enlarging lens on it. Camera mount is Nikon F type. Bellows is removable and I recall using it for things other than duplicating slides.

Not sure if I have another set of bellows or not (outside of what is on my large format cameras)

proxy.php

Went down to the darkroom and snapped some pics of my slide duplicator. Been a LONG time since the dust cover came off of this puppy.

It has a Novoflex (German) bellows and a Schneider 60mm/F5.6 flat field Componon enlarging lens on it. Camera mount is Nikon F type. Bellows is removable and I recall using it for things other than duplicating slides.

Not sure if I have another set of bellows or not (outside of what is on my large format cameras)

proxy.php

Great old school tools.

My macro ring light has arrived (used from ebay) so I'm playing around with my new toy :thumbup:

proxy.php

I'm unfamiliar with this gizmo but it looks like a well made semi-pro or even professional unit. My Canon bellows has a gizmo for negative/slide reproduction. Never used it, but I might yet just to for the fun of it.

upload_2017-10-10_22-6-39.jpeg

I copied this from the web, but it is a good image of my Canon Autobellows with the double plunger that controls aperture and shutter release simultaneously. As you can see, it also has a focusing rail. It's not as versatile or advanced as the Nikon that has swings, but it's one fabulous accessory for those with patience and a sturdy tripod.

View attachment 828020

I copied this from the web, but it is a good image of my Canon Autobellows with the double plunger that controls aperture and shutter release simultaneously. As you can see, it also has a focusing rail. It's not as versatile or advanced as the Nikon that has swings, but it's one fabulous accessory for those with patience and a sturdy tripod.

I had the Nikon unit quit a while when I was using their system. Briefly considered the Canon version in production today, but decided to stick with just the 1:1 macro lens (plus my new extension tube:))

I had the Nikon unit quit a while when I was using their system. Briefly considered the Canon version in production today, but decided to stick with just the 1:1 macro lens (plus my new extension tube:))

The swings on the Nikon bellows have always intrigued me, but I'm a Canon user. I had no idea that Canon had a version of the autobellows still in production - I shoot film and haven't followed any of the new product news in decades.

Congrats on the acquisitions, I briefly dabbled with a ring flash, I didn't get on with it where others have had stunning results so all down to my abilities, but ended up going with hotshoe or off camera speedlight/flash with various homemade diffuser/softboxes all good fun and learning, hope enjoy your new toys.

The swings on the Nikon bellows have always intrigued me, but I'm a Canon user. I had no idea that Canon had a version of the autobellows still in production - I shoot film and haven't followed any of the new product news in decades.

The Nikon unit was extremely well made and offered ultra fine focus adjustments. If I recall I believe I ended up selling it to fund a medium format body/lens.

Congrats on the acquisitions, I briefly dabbled with a ring flash, I didn't get on with it where others have had stunning results so all down to my abilities, but ended up going with hotshoe or off camera speedlight/flash with various homemade diffuser/softboxes all good fun and learning, hope enjoy your new toys.

Thank you. Once I finally retire one of my goals is to have more time to spend for photography related pursuits and improve my skills in those areas :thumbup:

Top Bottom