What's new

Looking for information on "Nullifier"

IMG_2407.jpg

I am just wondering about the stamp "Nullifier" on a stubby I picked up a couple weeks ago. I can't find any cutlers with that name but did run into a strange coincidence. First, with the WR stamp I am assuming that the razor was made under the reign of King William IV 1830 to 1837. Second, I dug around the internet and found on Wikipedia ( Nullifier Party - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullifier_Party ) information on the Nullifier Party in South Carolina, mostly active between 1832 and 1839.

At minimum this tells me that the word "Nullifier" was being used in the 1830s.

I'm just wondering if "Nullifier" could have a meaning related to razors, like "Warranted" steel. It seems odd that in a decade when cutlers frequently didn't put their own name on a blade, that they would label it for a South Carolina political movement.

I did search the B&B site and found the thread "Tell me Straight..." from May 17, 2022 that includes a picture of a similarly stamped razor.

My first thought is that the term would be more related to nullification of one's beard. A cheeky way of saying that this was a sharp razor.

Legion

Staff member
That's a cool looking razor. I'd say the Nullifier stamping is more than a coincidence. The razor was most likely made in Sheffield and exported to the US at that time. From what I read, the Nullifier party was pretty big, and considered the third option at the time.

Possibly the party gave the razors as gifts to important party financial donors.

Top Bottom