What's new

Looking for "everyday and all day" lens

So after this last holiday (hiking in Cornwall UK) and spending way more time than I wanted switching from wide angle to longer to long lenses and back, I have decided to look for a "one lens for everything". Especially when travelling and just wandering around. I have an old Canon crop sensor camera that still works well for me and I am looking for ideas on what would work for when I don't want to carry a bag full of extra lenses. I was thinking something like the Canon 18-135mm or Tamron 18-270mm. I would like image stabilization and light weight as possible. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions or first hand knowledge that would help me out? My budget would be about CDN $800 or USD $650.

Lenses I have:
10-18mm
18-55mm
50mm
55-250mm
75-300mm

Adding a Tamron sp 24-75mm di vc usd f2.8 with 1.6 crop factor will give you 39 to 120 mm. Has awesome image stabilization. F2.8 gives a very good fast lense option in low light. The usd motor is extremely fast. Full metal yet light.

For lower than 24mm, a prime lens would be ideal for that killer sharpness.

I used it extensively in 2019 with my last Full frame Canon 5D M3

Attachments

• 20190628_125052.jpg
    20190628_125052.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Adding a Tamron sp 24-75mm di vc usd f2.8 with 1.6 crop factor will give you 39 to 120 mm. Has awesome image stabilization. F2.8 gives a very good fast lense option in low light. The usd motor is extremely fast. Full metal yet light.

I used it extensively in 2019 with my last Full frame Canon 5D M3
I did not see that lens when looking. I will do some research. Thanks for the suggestion.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It is hard to reduce lenses down to just one. We are traveling to Indonesia in August. We are just taking a Canon SL1 and the 15-85 and the 55-250. I'm leaving my good gear home this time around.

I can't say enough nice things about the 15-85.. it's a great all around lens.... the 15mm gives you what 24mm gives you on a full frame and the lens quality is great. I don't think you can do better than the 55-250 for a light telephoto. At least, with a Canon crop DSLR.

I agree about the 55-250mm. I will look into the 15-85mm. Another lens I know nothing about. Thanks

Not a Canon shooter, so not much help on actual lens to get. But here are my thoughts. My all in one is the Panasonic 14-140, 28-280 full frame equivalent. For me I would want something with at least this much reach. 200mm isn’t much for a lot of wildlife. I would also want something with a close minimum focus distance for flowers, leaves, bugs, and frogs. Your wants and needs may be completely different than mine but these are the things I would look for.

Not a Canon shooter, so not much help on actual lens to get. But here are my thoughts. My all in one is the Panasonic 14-140, 28-280 full frame equivalent. For me I would want something with at least this much reach. 200mm isn’t much for a lot of wildlife. I would also want something with a close minimum focus distance for flowers, leaves, bugs, and frogs. Your wants and needs may be completely different than mine but these are the things I would look for.
That is what I am thinking also Troy. Something that covers as much as possible-wide to long.

I use my 24-105L 99% of the time. Street photography, architecture and landscape. It really is a do it all.
Also, 17-40 now and again.

Both used on 5d3 full frame.

Well, not looking for a lens anymore. Went to local camera store this afternoon and was looking at a Sigma 18-300mm for CDN $800+. Got to talking to guys working in store and they showed me a Canon R7 and 18-150mm lens. I came home with them!! Waiting for battery to charge so I can see how little I know about it. Coming from a Canon Rebel XS (2008) dslr will be a huge learning curve!! I can hardly wait. 🥺😳😀

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well, not looking for a lens anymore. Went to local camera store this afternoon and was looking at a Sigma 18-300mm for CDN $800+. Got to talking to guys working in store and they showed me a Canon R7 and 18-150mm lens. I came home with them!! Waiting for battery to charge so I can see how little I know about it. Coming from a Canon Rebel XS (2008) dslr will be a huge learning curve!! I can hardly wait. 🥺😳😀
I'm saving up for a Canon something..... probably what comes after the R5... so maybe R5-2.....I have a 1DX2... and quite a few white lenses so upgrading for me will be costly if I switch out the lenses. I know I'll start with the R5 ver. 2 and the 100-500 lens. I take mostly wildlife photos so I need the long lenses....

I think you'll see some great results with your R7... it's a great camera. If you are interested, there is a forum site like this one dedicated to photography: POTN.... Photography on the Net... mostly great people there, just like B&B. There is a section there for R7 users that might interest you.

I'm saving up for a Canon something..... probably what comes after the R5... so maybe R5-2.....I have a 1DX2... and quite a few white lenses so upgrading for me will be costly if I switch out the lenses. I know I'll start with the R5 ver. 2 and the 100-500 lens. I take mostly wildlife photos so I need the long lenses....

I think you'll see some great results with your R7... it's a great camera. If you are interested, there is a forum site like this one dedicated to photography: POTN Photography on the Net... mostly great people there, just like B&B. There is a section there for R7 users that might interest you.
Thanks Phoenixkh, I am looking forward to seeing the results. I am a member of POTN and have found the R7 users group. POTN is like B&B. Good people and great discussions.

Top Bottom