What's new

Looking for Advice on Repairing Horn Scales

IMG_2718.PNG
IMG_2719.PNG

I've got a few razors with horn scales that have some damage and am looking for advice on two approaches before I try them. For worm holes, someone on another forum recommended Hornoxy (a blend of epoxy and dust from sanding a similar colored horn.) The approaches I'm thinking of trying for strips where the horn has a raised layer (like in the first picture) is either to rub epoxy into the cavity and later sanding it or to use a hardening oil on the scales like boiled linseed oil. I'm thinking that a good sanding and hardening oil might also work on situations (like in the second picture) where the surfaces has some water damage / rot.

If you have experience with any other approaches I'd appreciate hearing them.

You can feed epoxy into the area where the horn has 'delaminated' and clamp, then sand off the excess later. CA glue will work too but you have to move fast.
You can find a brief tutorial on hornoxy here...

you can also feed the horn in Neats foot oil let them soak in it for 24 hours then wipe the excess off and sand lightly in a progression and polish but only do that after you have repaired the bug bites

Top Bottom