What's new

Lambda Ares V2

I never got into the Athena because of the handle. I find it to be a polarizing design!
Now the Ares is a different story (for my taste). Saw it and love it!
I have always bought a razor for the head design and the handle design/ergonomics is secondary. The reason being is that I can and usually do swap out the handle. Most of my top performing razors have aftermarket handles. The Ares handle does look more ergonomic than the Athena’s but the Athena has the better head design, which is more of a priority for me and why I bought it.

Last edited:
I have always bought a razor for the head design and the handle design/ergonomics is secondary. The reason being is that I can and usually do swap out the handle. Most of my top performing razors have aftermarket handles. The Ares handle does look more ergonomic than the Athena’s but the Athena has the better head design, which is more of a priority for me and why I bought it.
I'm not into mixing handles for some reason. Must be a head/handle OCD thing!
I like seeing them as they come from the factory!
And no matter how good a razor supposedly works, if it ain't pretty, I won't get it.
Part of it all (for me) is the visual aspect of what I use!
Granted, I have had some beauties that I've passed along after owning because they simply lacked in performance.
So it's a 50/50 (beauty/performance) search & find thing for me!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Very cool!
I wouldn't buy both though due to the heavy cost, knowing that the Athena handle would end up in one of my drawers. Would be great if they sold the heads separately. I'd buy both heads and one Ares handle in a heartbeat!
I know your fears, it looks like a massive amphora that is solid metal. But no worries, it has this "butt rest" that is slightly concave, a great spot for your pinky and your fingers will be at the sides. Once you have the handle you won't think about replacing it anymore. Very good chance for that, would give it a try. You can still screw it off, which would be a shame tbh, though.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As beautiful as the Athena handle looked to me, I was pretty sure it would be heavier than I like. I tried it and thought “Not so bad.” The next shave I replaced the handle with a hollow Wolfman bronze 40 gram handle…..used it on one side of my face, WTG, and the immediately switched back to the OEM handle. I haven’t used another handle since. It feels heavy in my hand before I start shaving, but disappears when I use it. I’m surprised by this, but I love the Athena as Theo designed it.

I know your fears, it looks like a massive amphora that is solid metal. But no worries, it has this "butt rest" that is slightly concave, a great spot for your pinky and your fingers will be at the sides. Once you have the handle you won't think about replacing it anymore. Very good chance for that, would give it a try. You can still screw it off, which would be a shame tbh, though.
I don't like how the Athena handle looks. And won't like how it looks even after trying it, no matter how good it feels. That was my point, if it doesn't look good to me, I ain't buying it!
I'm gonna stick with the Ares (whenever my turn comes up on the waiting list).

You could always ask about the Ares handle on an Athena head or, for the head separately to go with your complete Ares. Without the second handle and wooden box, that should knock ~100€ off the cost IMHO if Theo would support that option.

You could always ask about the Ares handle on an Athena head or, for the head separately to go with your complete Ares. Without the second handle and wooden box, that should knock ~100€ off the cost IMHO if Theo would support that option.
Hmm, good idea! 🤔
I do want the Ares OC head more than the Athena head though so that's not an issue. The Ares combo looks perfect as is for me. What I wouldn't mind though is knocking the price down because of that wooden box that I don't care for.
A throwaway cardboard box is good enough for me!
I'm not into fancy packaging since I put my rotation razors on a countertop rack. Whatever is not in rotation that has no box, gets cleaned, polished and wrapped in a microfiber cloth and put away in a plastic bin.

I have both the Ares and the Athena and I use them on a Ti Crown handle and love them both equally. I like the looks of the Athena handle, but am one of the folks that find that the handle does not function well for me. I'm a function first shaver. I'd love to buy an extra head only, if that was an option. Maybe since I've already bought two, Theo would consider it for me?? 🤔

Last edited:
I have both the Ares and the Athena and I use them on a Ti Crown handle. I like the looks of the Athena, but am one of the folks that find that it does not function well for me. I'm a function first shaver. I'd love to buy an extra head only, if that was an option. Maybe since I've already bought two, Theo would consider it for me?? 🤔
So you find the Ares functionally better for you?
I'd love to hear how so?
That might keep me away from a future Athena purchase! 😂

Sorry, @LRod, I wrote that poorly, the Athena and the Areas are both exceptionally good shavers and I love them both! I might like the Athena a bit better, but that's just because I've used it more (and more recently, like Mr. Shavvington). They are both so awesome! I just don't like the Athena handle functionally.

I originally wasn't a fan of the Athena handle's look either, so I bought the Ares. But after getting an Athena also the handle grew on me. The Athena handle performs better than you'd think. I prefer the Ares and love the look of its handle, but the Athena is excellent and the handle is better in person. I don't switch either handle out when I use them.

IMG_0940.jpeg

🤩

Top Bottom