What's new

L.A. Woman - 40th Anniversary Release

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I just picked up this re-release of The Doors' 1971 classic, L.A. Woman. This was the last album recorded by The Doors with Jim Morrison. The re-release of this recording is to commemorate the 40th anniversary of its release. This package contains two CDs. The first is the original album as it appeared in 1971. The second disc consists of alternate takes of the original album with the inclusion of a never-before released track "She Smells So Nice" as well as "Rock Me" which was a staple from their live shows. Hearing these alternate tracks is delightful. After listening to the original album hundreds of times and then hearing different keyboard and/or guitar solos or Morrison singing different lyrics, breaths new life into this 40 year old gem. Most enjoyable is the studio banter between the band members as well as their producer Bruce Botnick. Listening to Morrison announce at the beginning of a track that it was indeed his favorite song or hearing the bandmates discuss the idea of putting the thunder claps at the beginning of "Riders On The Storm" (Jim wants to send for thunder recordings from the Arizona desert) puts you in the middle of the studio during their creative process. Quite telling is a picture that is included on the inner gate fold is of The Doors in the studio and on top of a table is the album cover from James Brown's legendary 1962 recording "Live At The Apollo". I think The Doors were looking for a little soulful inspiration from the Godfather himself when they were recording "The Changeling". :thumbup1: As thrilling as it is to hear this new recording, it also reveals a stripped-down Doors. It was just some guys making music. No fanatical crowds, no Lizard King mystique and a seemingly lucid Jim Morrison all make for a very enjoyable re-release from a band that was always bigger after the death of Morrison than they were when they were actually recording. If you are a Doors fan, this anniversary release should not be missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Already picked it up. It's an iconic album from back in the day, and has only been improved upon with the inclusion of all the extra "goodies".

Many of The Doors' songs don't do a lot for me, but LA Woman is a song I will always appreciate and turn up to "11".

What a fantastic album. When I was in university we went to a certain bar that had it in the jukebox.
Many a good time listening to those songs.

I would very much like to hear what a "lucid" Jim Morrison sounds like.

Probably my favorite Doors album over the years. Love Her Madly, LA Woman and Riders on the Storm are, IMO, among a handful of definitive Doors songs. They show Morrison coming into his own as a songwriter and singer.

Legion

Staff member
I have it on a big, flat, grooved CD that I have to turn over half way through. I might treat myself to a new-fangled shiny one.

Top Bottom