What's new

Kirkland Signature Original Spiced Rum St. Croix Island

I know we probably get a lot of threads with different spirits purchased at places like Trader Joe's or Costco. Yup this is another one of those. The other day the wife and I were at Costco and I really wanted some rum with the eggnog we just purchased. It was getting late and we were not going to make another stop. So I went to the liquor isle to see what they had. They were a few types of rum, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a rum that I was going to mix anyway. So I grabbed a 1.75L of the above mentioned spiced rum.

First of all I have to say that the presentation of this rum is really nice. That is, the bottle is heavy glass and doesn't look like a bottle of Ron Rico or whatnot. The neck of the bottle has a label that says "San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2015 Double Gold." I guess that is supposed to impress me...but to be honest, I don't pay much attention to these type of accolades because I really have no idea what that means. Under the title of the rum it is printed, "Patiently crafted and distilled 5 times on the island of St. Croix from the first pressing of virgin sugar cane grown in rich soil and tropical sunlight." Furthermore, it says, "Rum with natural flavor & Carmel Color." It also contains 46% ALC/VOL (92 Proof). The cap of the bottle is a nice wood (or wood like) top with a synthetic cork for the stopper. Further research reveals that this rum is made by the Jim Beam company, which also makes Ron Rico rum and Calico Jack spiced rum. I have never had Calico Jack spiced rum (though Calico Jack is one of my favorite pirates), but it seems that, at least on paper, Costco's rum compares similarly to Calico Jack.

I don't want to say that this is the best rum ever, because it isn't, and I know it doesn't have great ratings on other websites, but this stuff is pretty good. Do I want to sip this slowly out of a nice crystal DOF like I would a great Rye or Bourbon? Definitely not. I will save my Zaya for that. But this is a pretty good rum for mixing certain drinks. And really that is what I bought it for. It has a nice rich vanilla scent and taste to it. Probably not as smooth as I would like but definitely drinkable and smoother than a lot I have had. It does finish off with a pleasant taste, whereas many do not.

If you are looking for a bottle of rum that you can pour generously to guests that come over or you are having a party but want something better than rock-gut (it cost less than $15.00)...this might be the rum for you. So far I have had it in my coffee and in eggnog. And it tastes delicious. Hope this review helps someone out!

Happy Holidays!

$Costco Spiced Rum.jpg

Ever try making a bottle of spice rum yourself really easy.The hardest part is letting it set for six months..Made some from a nc made rum..

Spiced rum
One bottle of rum I used Muddy River rum or other molasses distilled rum..

1 black peppercorn more or less to your liking (go easy on this one )
1/16 tsp mace
1/16 tsp nutmeg
1/4 inch of vanilla bean
3 allspice berries
1 clove
1 stick of Cinnamon
Add the above to a mason jar and the liquor to the jar.Hears the hard part, let sit for at least six mouths and filter out..

It's good in coffee and cola..

Last edited:
Yeah six months might be a little long to get some spiced rum...but I may just give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.

Top Bottom