What's new

Kai Besty Ex- Twin titanium coated forward pivot disposable with top and bottoms lube strips. Wild.

I picked up a couple packs of Kai Besty Ex disposables at the 100 yen store when I was last in Japan. They are wild! Twin titanium coated blades, forward pivot, disposable, top and bottom goo strips. Super strong spring action as well. The blades have some other coating, but I can’t read Japanese.

I’ll post my shave reaction manana. Based on stats, they should be interesting. Japanese steel with exotic coatings, 21st century tech, and Japanese precision. Looking forward to it. I can foresee clogging issues, but who knows.

If all goes well, I might glue a Super Click head to it for a travel Super Click Besty.

Attachments

• IMG_5638.jpeg
    IMG_5638.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5642.jpeg
    IMG_5642.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5639.jpeg
    IMG_5639.jpeg
    925.5 KB · Views: 40
Shaving report- the first few strokes were meh. However, things quickly turned around. If refinedshave is to be believed Kai applyies a very thick coating of ptfe on their blades (53 to 42 to 39 after two shaves). Once that dissipated the shave was very good. 2 pass WTG and ATG with a bit of cleanup was a DFS+/BBS- shave.

Of note, there is a steel bar around where the back blade on a Fusion cart is. This is not a blade, but is support for the twin blades. They are quite rigid, which is a feature. (edit- the Kai site states the about the bar: A 0.05 thick aluminum plate is inserted between the upper and the lower blade). Clogging was not an issue as I had shaved yesterday.

I could see this being a daily driver. It may be that is has lots of legs due to the titanium coating. I don't think I will push it that far, but it is an interesting experiment. If this was an Atra cart, it would be well worth stocking up. The Kai Gold-S, Young-T and Besty EX have all been great disposables for me. If you ever see them, give em a chance!

Last edited:
Holy crap. Kai has a website just about the production of these razors. The blades get a heat treatment to 1,000℃ and then cooling to -80℃. Then they get sharpened to 0.01μm! It seems the Kai "Pink" coating is actually titanium, as the site references "PINK" while the product packaging states titanium. Said to be 70% stronger.

I thought this was just a throwaway product from the 100 yen store. But it is a highly engineered marvel.

Last edited:
Interesting. The best came out in 2003. That means the double lube strip predates Gillette by a long long time. Was this the first use of double lube strip?

Top Bottom