What's new

Julie Moore, the one behind Dirty Bird scuttles, has passed away

I have been looking into scuttles lately. So when I was going through the websites/Etsy shops of various scuttle makers, the website of Dirty Bird scuttles stated it was permanently closed.

When I tried to search for Julie's scuttles elsewhere, I came across the webpage of a funeral services company. That is where I first read that she passed away peacefully on the 7th of March 2023. I then went over to her facebook page where it also stated the same. RIP.

While I didn't know her personally, I have read tons of reviews about her fantastic scuttles. And I hoped to get hold of the Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle someday.

I have been looking into scuttles lately. So when I was going through the websites/Etsy shops of various scuttle makers, the website of Dirty Bird scuttles stated it was permanently closed.

When I tried to search for Julie's scuttles elsewhere, I came across the webpage of a funeral services company. That is where I first read that she passed away peacefully on the 7th of March 2023. I then went over to her facebook page where it also stated the same. RIP.

While I didn't know her personally, I have read tons of reviews about her fantastic scuttles. And I hoped to get hold of the Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle someday.
I have two of her scuttles.Definitely keepers.

Very sad news. My condolences to her family and anyone who knew her.

I have a scuttle I purchased directly from Julie, off site, as well as a lather bowl.

She was a true artist. The only scuttle I recommended to people.

I heard somewhere that she was ailing. My condolences to her friends and family.
It was mentioned that she had fought glioblastoma. She also had surgery earlier and her husband mentioned that she was making pottery till the very end! Perhaps she was healing.
Wow, that's terribly unfortunate news. I'm thankful to hear she passed peacefully.

Her workmanship was fantastic and well designed, she will be missed certainly.
For me its terrible news not only because she was among the well known scuttle makers but also because I feel scuttles are losing their popularity (I may be wrong). I hardly see scuttles in SOTD posts and it also doesn't help that some other well known scuttle makers are also no longer producing scuttles such as Schwarzweisskeramik and Robert Becker (stopped a long time ago).

Only seems right to honor her memory with an image of her artistic craftsmanship. I cherish my scuttle that I bought ten years or so ago.

I found this helpful link that illustrates what a fulfilling and wonderful life she led: Dirty Bird Pottery – Leaving ET behind. - https://mpnforum.com/dirty-bird-pottery/

RIP, Julie.

IMG_8581.jpeg

Last edited:
20230104_161813.jpg

RIP Julie Moore. That is very sad. Twelve years ago I spoke with her several times when I was deciding on which style and color of Scuttle to purchase. She was always cordial and willing to help.

It's ironic, I was just about to do a little write-up about my Scuttle. The gist of the piece was how the Dirtybird Shaving Scuttle was probably the most important purchase I've made, besides the razors in my shaving journey.

Sad 😔

b/r

ON_1

While I don't use my DB1.5 scuttle that much any longer, I have fond memories of using it. Warm lather, heft, the ridges, the quality. It was the star of many of my lather videos back in the day and was used daily for years.

The matching lather bowl gets used regularly, probably every second day, by our 18y old son.

Her pieces were unmatched in terms of quality and performance. To this day, I have yet to see anything come even close.

PXL_20230317_144502116.PORTRAIT.jpg

The original photos are gone, from 2011, but here is my original thread a
about the purchase.

Thread 'My New DB 1.5 Scuttle' My New DB 1.5 Scuttle - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-new-db-1-5-scuttle.200256/

I was a little surprised at seeing this thread. In January, there was a note on her site that said she was taking a hiatus and would commence taking orders I believe early February. I revisited the site about a month ago and saw it permanently closed. This moved me to email her as I did not know the situation and just wanted to thank her for her work and fabulous products. I still use my scuttle and bowl as of today. The email was answered by her husband telling me her condition had returned and that she loved her shaving customers. I normally would not have responded to that as I wasn't sure what to say, but I had to reply and just tell him God's speed and I pray for the best for him and his family.

Edit: In reading her obit, I had no idea she went to Keystone College which is about 15 minutes from my house. Small world.

Last edited:
Ohhh man so sad to hear this. I bought two Dirty Bird Scuttles(small and large) over ten years ago from her. International shipping charges were very reasonable and the two scuttles arrived in perfect condition. The features on the Dirty Bird made it excel at lathering in the scuttle itself, something the Moss Scuttle was not great at(I had sold my Moss Scuttles a few years prior). Love the web bowl design for lathering and how the ridge is tapered in to avoid lather spill over.

She told me she was having health issues when I ordered mine. Said it would take a bit longer than she’d have wanted it to. Talked to me about different color combos and how her finished products always had differences from the last one. I liked that.

We hold the memories of those we’ve loved and respected in our hearts and minds as time passes.

65BC8479-B0F1-4ED4-BD38-42E521EA4211.jpeg

I use my DB shaving bowl daily and will make sure to break out my DB 1.5 scuttle in Julie’s honour. She was wonderful to work with.

She was also a member on these forums. Rest easy @mudslinger55

Top Bottom