What's new

"It's not AD, Honey. It's an 'experiment'

I've found my DE shaving career so far to be a running experiment... in search of that product that's The One... the thing you'll re-up, swear by with no other purchases, and 3017 (at least that's all great explanation to SWMBO.) That's why we do all this, isn't it?

Just thought I'd share the products I've tried over my last year+ of DE shaving (and shopping.) I've been lucky enough to be close to both big box stores and great places like Pasteur Pharmacy/ NYC that give me direct access to a variety of products. So, FWITW, my choices for "The One" in each category (and also, "Sunday Best," which is the stuff I like to break out on special occasion...)

Feel free to add yours...

TriedThe OneRunner-upSunday Best
Face Wash
Cremo Face Wash, Jack Black Face Wash, Dove Mens Face Wash, Lush Kalamazoo, Harry's Face Wash
Lush Kalamazoo. This citrusy wash is a beard softener and great face wash at the same time. Only avail at Lush stores, so until then, Cremo Face Wash for daily use.Cremo Face Washn/a
Scrub
Jack Black Scrub, Neutrogena Razor Defense, Clean & Clear, St Ives, Nivea for Men Face Scrub, Dove Men Face ScrubNeutrogena Razor Defense. Mild enough not to sand your face down to nothing, but does the job for pre-shave.St Ivesn/a
Pre -Shave / Prep
Crown Shaving Co. Supreme Glide, Proraso White, Proraso Green PSL, Edwin Jagger Pre-shave Lotion, Cremo (Blue) Shave Cream.EJ Pre-shave. After doing the pre-shave circuit, I can't get this off my mind.Proraso Green PSL
Cream
Proraso Blue, AOS Sandalwood, L'Occitane Cade, T&H 1805, CF Cryogen, Cremo (Blue) Shave Cream, HIMistry for Men, Kiehl's Lite FlightAOS Sandalwood. IMHO, the finest cream shave, every time. Proraso BlueCade
Soap
Stirling MITA, Haslinger Schapfmilch, Haslinger Coconut, Tabac, L'Occitane Cade, Taconic Lime, various Stirling samples, Cella, The Holy Back Gin Fizz.Tabac. Consistenly great lather, very slick, and great shaves to match.(Jury is still out)
Cade
AS Splash
Fine Clean Vetiver, Fine L'Orange Noir, IB Amici, RR Mudder Focker, Clubman, Pinaud Lime Sec, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, CF Cryogen, VI Pinaud Bay Rum. Just keep going back to it. Lime Sec
Fine Clean Vetiver.
AS Balm / Lotion
Lucky Tiger, Cade, Pre de Provence ASB, Aveeno AS Lotion, Shaveworks The Cool Fix, Nivea Sensitive ASB, Edwin Jagger Natural After Shave Lotion, Myrsol Emulsion.Myrsol Emulsion. Just bought this based on rave reviews here. Total game-changer for me. Was skeptical that it wasn't worth the price... it is. Never tried anything like it. It's doing wonders for my problem areas.Pre de Provence ASBCade
DE Razor
RR Mission 3pc, RR Classic TTO, EJ DE89, The Holy Black SR71 Slant, VDH TTO.THB SR71 Slant. Shaves so well I only use it on occasion because daily use would make things too easy.EJ DE89SR71
Blade
Feather, Personna Israeli Red, GSB, Gillette Platinum Plus, Gillette 7'Oclock Yellow, Gillette 7 0'Clock Black, Gillette 7 0'Clock Green, Astra SP, Voshkod, Derby, Wilkinson Sword, Rapira, Treet Silver, Gillette NacetGillette Nacet. Tried this for the first time yesterday and it was one of the best shaves of my life— almost directly attributable to the blade.Personna Israeli Red
n/a
Brush
Body Shop Synth, Stirling Finest Badger, EJ Best Badger, Simpson Special S1, Semogue 620 Boar, RR Monster Plissoft SynthSemogue 620 Boar. I don't know why, but even owning three nice badgers and two synths, I always reach for this Boar. (Despite the love/hate relationship of it taking so long to break in.)Stirling Finest Badger

Wow, excellent write up! Those the one choices are all great pics. I'm a huge fan of the 620 and Tabac myself. I've tried a lot myself but have never thought to compile it all like you have. Great job!

Now where's your straight razor and shavette section???

Matt

I don't think I've settled on "the one" for anything yet...except perhaps the face wash. I'm very partial to the Loreal for men with charcoal

Wow, I didn't know there were so many products that could be used before one even gets to the actual shave! :) Wash, scrub, and then pre-shave! But if it's an experiment you do what you've got to do! :)

Wow, excellent write up! Those the one choices are all great pics. I'm a huge fan of the 620 and Tabac myself. I've tried a lot myself but have never thought to compile it all like you have. Great job!

Now where's your straight razor and shavette section???

Matt

Shavette is in the works...still practicing! Then comes SR.... maybe next year!

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Excellent write-up. There is no "One" for me in any category, although razor comes closest; I liked my first razor choice (Futur) enough that I never really wanted to try another, until a great member here PIFed me an ATT H1, which is now the only razor that I use. Everything else I have a nice variety of and enjoy using all equally, but no seeking the next greatest thing. There are a few soaps I want to get, but I can wait.

I should have added an important caveat: the choices I've arrived at does not necessarily mean all used together will equal a great shave.

In fact, I don't think I've tried all those winners together in one shave...yet. A project for this weekend! That could change everything!

Great presentation on your table!

That Lush Kalamazoo sounds good...never heard of it.

I'm with you on Myrsol Emulsión -- my favorite shaving product on the planet -- and the Semogue 620.

Great presentation on your table!

That Lush Kalamazoo sounds good...never heard of it.

LUSH is a natural (vegan?) cosmetics shop that I think originated in Europe but has a few shops in the US. They sell Artisan "handmade" soaps, etc. Bought the Kalamazoo on a whim one day and it turned out to be a very nice pre-shave. Pricey compared to mass market brands but left a great feeling on my face!

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I admire your very thorough charting and analysis! Traditional wet shaving and the massive cornucopia of product is in fact a very pleasant abyss. I really like many of your choices and look forward to seeing how you enjoy your eventual gravitation toward straight razors.

Great table... I have also settled on Tabac for soap, (and AS and cologne :laugh:).

Just one thing add, to help your research... try a horse hair brush, even a cheap Chinese one will do. I found that is softer than the boar and with better backbone than most badgers.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah, another SR-71 fan! Sucker is heavy, but gets under nose like no other.

Makes a poor blade a star. Aggressive as Bull Halsey and George Patton discussing geopolitics.

AA

Top Bottom