What's new

I Wonder

I don't expect anything good.

Why are you considering this and what are your expectations / desired results?

Cheers
Ivo

This has been brought up before, but to my knowledge no one has actually tried it. If you think it might work, then why not give it a try. Might work, might not, but at least you'll know whichever way it goes.

I don't know about the short term effects but any chemical designed to clean metal ain't going to be good for leather of any kind in the long run.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I'm sure the abrasive part would be a fine thing to try. It's the unknown chemical/cleaner/whatever that may or may not ruin the leather.

Hmm, I have Mass and I could probably find a paddle somewhere if I really looked hard enough <g>. Might have to give it a try.

Tony

I am testing now, and will report. The reason why: I noticed that after applying the diamaond abrasives to a strop, rather than waste what was on my finger I would pinch a blade at the hollow and pull it through a few times, and well just like MAAS.

I'm sure the abrasive part would be a fine thing to try. It's the unknown chemical/cleaner/whatever that may or may not ruin the leather.

Hmm, I have Mass and I could probably find a paddle somewhere if I really looked hard enough <g>. Might have to give it a try.

Tony

I was going to suggest trying it on an old belt.

Randy

Last night I took a WB that just needed a touch up on the pasted stops, .5 and .25. I lightly rubbed maas on a fresh paddle I made up and let it dry. I gave the razor about 20 passes, wiped the blade clean and stropped. With the finger pad touch test, that I have used for over ten years, I could with the lightest touch, shave my finger print ridges. I know thats sharp. The ATG shave was great. So, it does not harm an edge.

Next I want to take a blade to the 4k/8k, then the maas paddleot see where, if at all, it will go as a step.

Today I took a less expensive blade an honed on the 4k side, then to the Maas paddle, then finished with the diamond pasted strops and stropped. The edge was back to shave ready. I noticed that the Mass did more or less the same as the 8k side of the Norton.

So, after foolin around with the stuff, Do not rubb it into the leather, just a light coating. It did not damage any of the five or so blades I used. As for when to use it, probably after the 8k side.

If for some reason all 8k stones disappear off the face of the earth, I guess there would be another use for MAAS.

Interesting...

I thought you'd have to scrap the leather. MAAS stinks so I definitely would not put it on a paddle I keep in the house (which is where I keep strops and stones)

Cheers
Ivo

Top Bottom