What's new

How long to finish a puck

I get 30-35 shaves from a 1 oz Stirling sample. So a 5 oz jar would last me roughly 150~175 shaves.
That sounds about right to me. I have about a dozen Stirling sample soaps and I'm not even close to going through one yet. I once heard the figure 45 shaves. Either way, it's a terrific value and a great way to try different scents and soaps.

A 3.5oz puck of Van Der Hagen lasted me 2 years. No idea the amount of shaves but I obviously need to up my shaving game/frequency. Recently bought 29 pucks of the obsolete Col. Conk off the bay when I saw it for under $2 each with free shipping, so I may die before I get through that and the other pucks I already have. I have also been wanting to try more/different soaps so I imagine I will acquire it faster than I can use it. Thankfully my son is almost ready to start shaving as I think I have him covered with supplies.

...What is your loading technique and what types of brushes are you using to build your lather? Are you just face shaving?

Simple curiosity here on different shaving techniques.
One tablespoon of water on the puck and a soaked brush loading. 15-20s for a croap, 30s and up for a triple milled. Building a proto-lather in a bowl then finish on face. Using medium size brushes, most of them 24mm knots. Yes, just face shaving. Every day, two passes.
Oh, I don't measure the water. Shaving is not rocket science and my numbers don't go beyond keeping basic records. For fun.

Last edited:
Depending on the brush knot and size, as well as general lathering technique…anywhere between 1-3 months is a good range. Huge 30mm gel tip badger will be closer to 1 month, 24mm synth will be closer to 3. Lots of people also load way to much imo, between 10-30 seconds is usually more than enough for me

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I just use one soap at a time.
Some last longer than others.
Tabac tallow lasts awhile so does Truefitt and Hill 1805, both lasted me nearly a year of daily shaves but of course your mileage may vary.
It took me a long time to get through my tub of Tabac. I have other soaps so it will take me longer to finish anything. I have stuff that I've had for over 3-5 years now. It's not a lot but I have seasonal soaps and you know how that goes. I also have one I use because of ease of use'. I would say I have over 10. some are just samples.

Been a Stirling user for over 6yrs now and I load it like I own it which is usually enough for a 4-5 pass shave every other day!! I would say YMMV here but that is just to cliche so given from experience, sample puck = 30-35 shaves so a tub should = 150-180 shaves total. Since I shave every other day I am in the upper part of that number.

I also think brush has a lot to do with the number also. I use nothing but synthetic every other day so I'm at the number specified above. I would say if you are using badger it would probably be in the 120-150 shaves and Boar would be 140-160 shaves... Natural brushes are known at times to eat lather from time to time...

At this current time I have 6 soaps I am working with at this time, 5-Stirling and 1-Ethos and pretty much using my Stirling Glacials full time since like a year ago August and would suspect the 3 scents should be finished off sometime later this year. I do find that with the Ethos I don't use as much soap per use and it lathers faster but not by much though... The Ethos tub I believe is in the 7.5oz size so should last much longer than a tub of Stirling.

Top Bottom