What's new

Horsehide or cowhide; and why?

I assume you mean strops here. Horsehide is considered premium material. I have both as well as several other critters and I find no difference. A quality strop is a quality strop. Thickness of the hide, finishing and workmanship are the important factors in my opinion, not the animal. Unless your talking about Cordovan Horsehide but thats a whole different topic. They are impossible to find.

I agree 100% with the bigspender. Have used both and even pigskin, really not any difference as long as the leather is of good quality.

Glen

I don't know guys, that Horsehide over at HandAmerican from Keith is one awesome strop. I have a bunch of others including a pigskin too and so far this is the best of the bunch.

Lynn

They are impossible to find.

One guy is thinking about making some in the near future. I have asked to be notified when this happens :wink:

I have tried a bunch of strops and they all feel different. Even two russian shells can be very different. Can't really say one is better than another. I am willing to accept that if old barbers liked it better than cow - there must have been a reason. Either durability or effect on edge, maybe both. All of my strops perform well, though - can't say one of them didn't get the job done. I also did OK with an old belt.

So - material is probably not THAT critical but if I can choose I'd go for a quality horse just to be on the trad side.

Cheers
Ivo

I don't know guys, that Horsehide over at HandAmerican from Keith is one awesome strop. I have a bunch of others including a pigskin too and so far this is the best of the bunch.

Lynn

Sent 2 emails wanted to try one no response:frown:

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Horsehide does have a unique feel. Not saying it is better or worse than other materials but it does feel different. The Horsehide I use at least seems to have a silky feel. Cowhide with strop dressing has a draw that feels a bit sticky almost as if the razor is being slowed by a coating (which is exactly what is happening) as does Latigo. The dressing and type of latigo will make the draw vary but it has a similar feel. The Horsehide almost seem magnetic as was described to me by a user. Not a huge amount of draw but a feeling of attraction of the blade to the leather. It is the hide slowing the passage of the razor. I honsetly don't think any one material will make or break stropping effectiveness but each person has a preference in feel.

Tony

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
That's what I tell my horses when I threaten to make strops out of them. It's for the good of the cause. :biggrin:

My daughter occasionally helps me in the shop with the strop work. As a horse owner though she refuses to work on the horsehide ones. She raises sheep too and I can't remember the last time I had a good lambchop supper <g>

I was lamenting to my wife of how hard it is for me to get cowhide I am happy with then asked her if she knew how much a cow could possibly eat in a day <g>. She stared at me in disbelief until I told her I was only kidding. My yards too small to raise cattle anyway.

Tony

Herman Oak Leather is the best in the U.S. for cowhide but the big premium saddlery manufacturers, like the ones I buy from, buy up all the good stuff. There has been a shortage of premium cowhide in the U.S. for a number of years now. A lot of hides on the secondary market are coming out of Mexico.

I recently began cautiously treading into Straight Razor Land, and really enjoy it! The deal was sealed for me when I found a beautiful barber's hone and strop at an antique show. Both are in excellent condition, and get this: the strop is "Genuine Seal Leather!" I don't have much to compare it to, but, so far, it gets my seal of approval. :wink2:

Top Bottom