What's new

Handle design for a beginner

Hello

A friend of mine that works with wood offered himself to help me make a handle. Is there any diagram to provide to him?

Glad to receive some help.

Thank you

What little experience I have had in turning my own handles sort of allowed me to determine how it turned out based on how the wood responded.

Although I had a general idea of what shape I wanted, the character of the wood or the plastic media in use, presented things that from an artistic sense wanted to be developed. This is especially true with wood with dark grain lines or dark threads from water seepage and the like.

The last handle I made, using a translucent orange plastic with smokey like wisps throughout. The alterations from the original intended shape developed as portions of the plastic broke away in chunks, causing the need to smooth them out and alter contours. The resulting handle is one of my favorites that has a wonderful 26 mm silvertip knot.

Sadly, the person that helped me and furnished the lathe and chisels passed away so I no longer have access to those resources.

I might suggest that you look at several different handle shapes from various brush sellers and determine what you think you like then present a picture to your mentor and go from there. You should start with determining what size knot you intend to use.

Top Bottom