What's new

H. L. Thater Brushes

I just read on the Bullgoose site that Thater is discontinuing their manufacture of shaving brushes. This is disappointing news, I have a couple of their brushes in my arsenal and could not pick a favorite among the Thaters matched up with my Shavemacs, M&Fs, Plissons, Simpsons, Rudy Veys, etc. It will be interesting to see how today's economics effect the wet shaving industry, disappointing though it may be.

I just read on the Bullgoose site that Thater is discontinuing their manufacture of shaving brushes. This is disappointing news, I have a couple of their brushes in my arsenal and could not pick a favorite among the Thaters matched up with my Shavemacs, M&Fs, Plissons, Simpsons, Rudy Veys, etc. It will be interesting to see how today's economics effect the wet shaving industry, disappointing though it may be.
This is sad news. I used my Thater this morning and love it. Thanks for sharing

What else do they make besides brushes though? Thater tots? 🤪 aren’t I funny?

In all seriousness, I love my Thater 4125/4 2-Band and 4670/5 2-Band. Both are massive brushes and the knots are amazing. I will never sell those. Fantastic brushes.

Isn’t there a tie to ShaveMac in some way?

Where did you read that? I can't find anything on the Bullgoose Shaving Supplies site - or am I missing something?
I received an email containing the following:

1689290920806.png

BTW, I picked up a tortoise shell beehive two-band silver tip badger today.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
What else do they make besides brushes though? Thater tots? 🤪 aren’t I funny?

In all seriousness, I love my Thater 4125/4 2-Band and 4670/5 2-Band. Both are massive brushes and the knots are amazing. I will never sell those. Fantastic brushes.

Isn’t there a tie to ShaveMac in some way?
Shavemac used to make handles only for the surrounding brush makers. Eventually, when Bernd started in the company they also began making complete brushes, but they still make handles for others, like Thaeter.

Yes, it was very disappointing news. I have carried Thater brushes for over a dozen years and they have been one of my best selling brands. I don't know the full story but, there was definite frustration with the supply chain. Consistently sourcing quality badger hair has apparently become very difficult.

I have two Thäter brushes and while they are fine, they are not my favourites.

When I bought them, one started shedding after a short while and I sent the brush back to Thäter, who tried to convince me that it was my fault. That might have been more successful, if I hadn’t used shaving brushes for near on 20 years and didn’t have several several dozen other shaving brushes that don’t shed.

Thäter offered me to comb the brush out or replace the knot at my expense.
As the first offer did IMO not address the root cause, I took the second option and the brush has behaved fine since, even though nothing changed in the way that I treat my brushes.

Shavemac is known to supply some parts to Thäter, but I don’t know whether that includes knots.
I do accept that handmade knots (even Shavemacs :sneaky2:) will have occasional faults, but for me what matters is how the manufacturer responds to such slip-ups.

That was the last Thäter purchase I made, as I can get great, similar shaving brushes from other manufacturers with better product support, including from Shavemac who is based not too far from Thäter.

For me, Thäter getting out of the shaving brush business makes no difference.

B.

Last edited:
It’s a great shame to see another highly-respected shaving brand exit the market. The customer service issues we’ve seen reported in recent years always left me with the impression that this was not a company that was thriving financially, and it seemed that few of their retailers have been carrying much Thäter inventory, with the notable exception of Bullgoose. But I don’t know and perhaps they have always done customer service that way and had other distribution channels or client brands they made brushes for.

Regardless, Thäter made high quality, beautifully made brushes with a distinctive style that will remain in the shaving brushmaker’s collective vocabulary of shapes. As I understand it they have been making shaving brushes since 1966 - more than fifty years - and at times have been considered the best of the best.

I found this very interesting old interview from Straight Razor Magazine in 2013. It’s a good read and informative about both the company history and about shaving brushes in general, right at the time when the two-band silvertips that are so popular today were being introduced.

As sad as this news is, I’m more glad than ever that I have my 4125/4 two-band brush - as typical of the Thäter brand as it gets, and probably the definitive German brush style. I did manage to grab a couple of three-band 4125s from their UK vendor this week since I’ve been wanting a three-band and now is the only time remaining to do it. And I finally ordered the ‘Fünf’ beehive from Bullgoose that I’ve had in my cart so many times, which seemingly was in almost every SotD pic for a couple of years. I expect to enjoy my Thäters for decades to come.

Pröst to H L Thäter, and thanks for the fine shaves. Best wishes to all those who worked there.

4B861D9D-75B8-4F75-BF9E-5AC10735D7E5.jpeg

H.L. Thater (1913 -2023)​

Heinrich Thater has been around since 1913 and has a reputation for making superb badger hair shaving brushes. They survived two world wars, the Great Depression, the Cold War and so much more. Unfortunately, they did not survive the Pandemic.

If you have been wanting a Thater brush, you better act quickly. When they are gone, they are gone for good.

Sample Offerings​

Image of H.L. Thater Black Resin Beehive Brush in Two band Silvertip Badger (Fan)
H.L. Thater Black Resin Beehive Brush in Two band Silvertip Badger (Fan)
$165.00
Image of H.L. Thater Special Edition Olive Wood Brush in Two band Badger -Fan Rounded Knot
H.L. Thater Special Edition Olive Wood Brush in Two band Badger -Fan Rounded Knot
$210.00
Image of H.L. Thater Two Band Badger -Blue Speck 82 Style (Rounded Knot)
H.L. Thater Two Band Badger -Blue Speck 82 Style (Rounded Knot)
$185.00
Follow Us & Stay Connected
Need help? Contact us at (310) 533-9635
1732 Aviation Blvd Suite 314 Redondo Beach, California 90278
Manage Preferences or Unsubscribe.
© 2022 BullGoose Shaving. All rights reserved.
proxy.php

Sad!! :sob::sob::sob:

I am not surprised. The market will be kept inside the country that has monopoly of badger hair, keeping the monopoly of badger shaving brushes. Prices are already lined up, if you care to look at certain online stores.
I believe the brushes we can still get today from western manufacturers are old stock since current supply chains have been and are being severed. In my uneducated opinion, and most likely wrong, as I have been wrong before.

Bye bye good value badger brushes.

Awww, blaming the pandemic, the same old BS. How could anyone let a good crisis go to waste?
Quite insulting.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I heard that the owner, Mr Schuldes, is getting older and there is no succession. Makes sense, these companies are really small and have maybe 2-4 employees only.
Not sure if they will find someone to continue or if another company will take them over. I doubt that lack of hair would make a big impact, if so, others might be affected the same way. There are quite a few companies in Europe making brushes, and I have not heard anything like this from others.