What's new

From DE to straight. What should be expected?

You can expect to spend a few more minutes shaving with a SR. This ultimately led me back to DE for quick, midweek shaves. I prefer the straight razor experience but DE is fine when you just have to get it done.

I get good results from both systems. Straight razor shaving is more interesting. There’s more to it as a topic. Shaving with and maintaining your own edges is rewarding and fun.

Thanks all for your thorough, honest and well explained answers to my question. This has helped much more than watching all sorts of YT videos or online information from self declared 'experts' or manufacturers of razors.

Knowing myself I think it's best for now to not get into the SR game. As all of you said, it's not magic and the learning curve is steep. I'll stick to my trusty DE's for now and we'll see what the distant future might bring.

Thanks all for your thorough, honest and well explained answers to my question. This has helped much more than watching all sorts of YT videos or online information from self declared 'experts' or manufacturers of razors.

Knowing myself I think it's best for now to not get into the SR game. As all of you said, it's not magic and the learning curve is steep. I'll stick to my trusty DE's for now and we'll see what the distant future might bring.
You can get a feel for it just by getting a replaceable blade straight razor. Feather Artist Club SR "Shavette" is a good option.

You know yourself better than anyone. I enjoy the whole process and wish I started sooner. If you think it's not for you at this point, then you are correct. Don't rule out the option completely though.

Honing is one area that turns many people off straights. I tend to accumulate a number of razors to make a honing session worthwhile. As such I can spend a morning or afternoon in a zen type state while honing. Of course you need to obtain sufficient razors that this is a viable option. That's what I tell myself and nobody will convince me otherwise.

I wish I’d started sooner, like at 15.
The shave is a lot better for me and I’ll never go back to a DE.
Not even for a quick shave as I’m at the point now where I can do the job quicker and better with a straight.
I was a little fearful of the honing at the start but i now see it as one of the best parts of the experience.
In areas I never would’ve expected, the straight razor keeps on giving.
Just get one, ditch the DE forever, never look back and thank me from the bottom of your heart a year from now:)

I wish I’d started sooner, like at 15.
The shave is a lot better for me and I’ll never go back to a DE.
Not even for a quick shave as I’m at the point now where I can do the job quicker and better with a straight.
I was a little fearful of the honing at the start but i now see it as one of the best parts of the experience.
In areas I never would’ve expected, the straight razor keeps on giving.
Just get one, ditch the DE forever, never look back and thank me from the bottom of your heart a year from now:)
I appreciate your comment and enthusiasm. I however have concluded that the 'upkeep' of a SR is something I will very likely grow tired of. Sharpening a pocket knife is one thing, a straight is a whole different ballgame. That's really not for me. At middle age I'm finally starting to know myself 😉.

I appreciate your comment and enthusiasm. I however have concluded that the 'upkeep' of a SR is something I will very likely grow tired of. Sharpening a pocket knife is one thing, a straight is a whole different ballgame. That's really not for me. At middle age I'm finally starting to know myself 😉.
Of course my friend follow your own path but honing is easy and only needs doing once in a blue moon.
All the best whatever you do.

Top Bottom