What's new

French Presses? Needing a change from Bodum Chambord.

Been using liter and liter and a half Bodum French Presses for years. They’ve worked very well, have dealt with the sediment, still have three. One downfall to the Chambord… broken glass carafes! Even with careful use, they do break!

Been looking at the Espro P7 and Frieling French stainless steel presses in the 32-34 ounce range. Anyone have experience with either or both? Comments on the filtering? Reliability? Appreciate!

I have a stainless FP and it works well. I miss being able to see the water as I would use that as a gauge of when it was done. However, it made good coffee. I don't recall what brand it was. I bought the stainless steel primarily to take with me on military deployment. I now use an Aeropress at work and like the way the coffee comes out.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The Bodum FP made of stainless is good, but it is not nearly as elegant as the glass. I have moved on to pour over and come to prefer it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I broke 2 glass French Presses in Indonesia this past trip... I bought a Mueller SS French Press to take along this coming February. I paid $24.97 for it just a few months ago... the current price on Amazon is $39.00... That's inflation for you. It's on sale now for $29.99

We also have two Bodum glass French Presses. I can't taste the difference between making coffee in the glass or stainless steel, thankfully. Neither can my wife whose taste buds are much accurate than mine.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah, not only do you have a wet steaming mess on the counter that's dripping on the floor but you've got to deal with before you get any coffee.

This is why I do "steep and strain."

O.H.

Received the Frieling French Press and the difference between this and the Bodum FP’s is amazing! The Frieling clears up the sediment and the coffee is much cleaner and true to its natural flavor profile. The 34oz unit is very well built, solid, somewhat heavy, solid and the filtering screen and plunger unit do their job very well. Plus, there are screen and parts available going forward. From what I’ve experienced, the Frieling will last me all the years remaining ahead of me.

IMG_1511.jpeg

Last edited:
I now use an Aeropress at work and like the way the coffee comes out.
I'm the only one in my house who drinks coffee so I only make a single cup at a time, and the Aeropress is my tool of choice. I've used pourovers and french presses, and I keep coming back to the Aeropress because it's simple to use (although some people make it very complicated) and it makes a strong, smooth cup of coffee.

I don't have experience with the frieling or espro p7 specifically, but I do have a glass espro. I will say, the filtering is outstanding and you hardly get any sediment. The downside is that it tends to leave some liquid behind in the bottom of the carafe, so you get slightly less drinkable coffee. I'd still take it over a traditional French press any day and recommend it.

Top Bottom