What's new

French Press Question

Hi.

I broke my french press the other day, and picked up a new one today. I have no instructions (otherwise I would not be asking here). The new one has a twistable knob on the top of the plunger which opens and closes the area where the screen allows the water to come through when you plunge down the grounds.

What is this for? Why is it able to open and close? How do I use it?
I've been googling without success, so I figure someone here will know.

Thanks

To retain heat. But.. a picture would be nice. I could tell you more specifically if I saw what you were trying to describe.

To retain heat. But.. a picture would be nice. I could tell you more specifically if I saw what you were trying to describe.

+1; I've owned a couple Bodum presses and they all have lids which turn to open/close. I presume this is for heat retention as well.

OK cell phone pics.

The part I'm trying to describe is the filter, not a lid.
Top pic, shows it open screens.
#2 is half closed
Bottom is fully closed.

proxy.php

I can't imagine you'd press the plunger down when fully closed as in pic 3, it would surely be either impossible or the build up of pressure would break the glass.

So you depress the plunger in the fully open position. Perhaps after depressing the plunger you then shut the filter shutting off the grounds from the water thus preventing any further brewing at the bottom of the pot?

I have to say I've never seen this before so this is intelligent guesswork!

How 'bout unintelligent guesswork?

Bodum calls the upper part a spiral plate. Maybe something got lost in translation on the way to the manufacturer. :confused1 :laugh:

Right then - I like the theory about stopping the brewing process by closing off the screen. As previously mentioned, you don't want to press that down while it's closed.

Interesting design. Bodum has a teapot which has a like-minded feature; the tea chamber is only perforated on the upper 70%; the lower 30% is solid. So, when you push the plunger down, tea/water contact is diminished, and thusly, your tea strength is more stable.

Cleverish.

So you depress the plunger in the fully open position. Perhaps after depressing the plunger you then shut the filter shutting off the grounds from the water thus preventing any further brewing at the bottom of the pot?

I like this theory: stop the brewing to prevent over-extraction and bitterness. I have a Bodum, but I've never noticed the shut-off feature. I wonder if it's there any I've not noticed it. Something to do tonight.

Don

I had one of those presses. It's to 'stop' the brewing process. After steeping, simply twist it closed and the brewing will magically stop and you won't have to worry about oversteeping your beans. :w00t:

Thanks all.

Won't really be a big issue since my usual habit is to brew a batch, and then empty it straight into two travel mugs for my wife and I, there has never been an issue of over-steeping really.

Yes it might do that, also there's a screen over the spout when pouring too.

I don't mind my coffee a little chewy though, been makin' it in a tin can on the camp fire too often.

Top Bottom