What's new

Frameback Swedish, please translate.

Frameback Swedish, please translate,Thank you.
1.jpg

3.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Here. @honed (who is Swedish) translated the spine. The tang is the brand, its location, and various trade shows and exhibition where they won awards,

Here. @honed (who is Swedish) translated the spine. The tang is the brand, its location, and various trade shows and exhibition where they won awards,

Seeing the article, it seems to be "cast steel",
Thank you.

Thank you all for your help and letting me know about this razor.
1224-4.jpg

Last edited:

I found this information.​

C.R.U. cast steel (Carl Reinhold Ulff cast steel )​

From 1859, Vikmanshyttan's mill introduced an improved variant of the crucible steel method which came to be known as CRU steel after the then mill manager Carl Reinhold Ulff. The carbon content of the finished steel could be controlled by changing the amount of iron, ore and coal that was added to the crucible. The oxygen in the iron ore (iron ore mainly consists of various forms of iron oxide) reacted with the carbon. A prerequisite for a good end result was that you had access to an ore that had a very low content of unwanted elements. In the Vikmanshyttan, iron ore from the Bispberg mine was used, which delivered ore with a rare high content of iron. At the end of the 19th century, they began to manufacture alloy steel, i.e. steel that was alloyed with metals other than iron. The production of crucible steel decreased later in the 20th century, and has now ceased.

Dannemora cast steel
The crucible steel method in Sweden During the 19th century, Sweden imported crucible steel from England, even though the raw material itself, bar iron, was produced in the Swedish Walloon mills. Namely, it was considered that only Swedish Walloon iron could measure up as a raw material for steel production. In 1870, however, the Dannemora cast steel company was formed at Österbybruk in an attempt to replace English imports with domestic production. Crucible steel was difficult to manufacture, and it took some time before production began in earnest.

Wikiwand - Degelstål - https://www.wikiwand.com/sv/Degelst%C3%A5l#CRU-st%C3%A5l

Last edited:
Gjutstål means cast steel, yes. I believe C.R.U. refers to where the ore was mined. Dannemora is another one you'll often see.

Nice razor.
Vikmanshyttan's mill introduced an improved variant of the crucible steel method which came to be known as CRU steel after the then mill manager Carl Reinhold Ulff.
Wikiwand - Degelstål - https://www.wikiwand.com/sv/Degelst%C3%A5l#CRU-st%C3%A5l

Vikmanshyttan's first utility manager: Carl Reinhold Ulff
Vikmanshyttans förste bruksdisponent: Carl Reinhold Ulff - http://gamlavikmanshyttan.se/gamlaindustrin/ulff/

Last edited:
CRU SJELFHÄRDANDE – ett stål som härdade sig självt?! - http://gamlavikmanshyttan.se/gamlaindustrin/sjelfherdande/

CRU SELF HARDENING – a steel that hardened itself?!
In our hiding places we have found a photograph that puzzles us quite a bit. The flat steel bar shown is stamped CRU SELF-CURING. Judging by the spelling, it is a very old procedure that was by no means valid in modern times, or...?

CRU Self-curing
CRU Self-curing

Not even the skilled old former heat treater at the Mill, Eskil Elg, had heard of such a thing. However, he knows most about conventional heat treatment. The high alloy steel was hardened in oil. The stainless chrome-nickel steel below 15 mm was water-hardened, while coarser dimensions were also oil-hardened.

But self-hardening Vikman cabin steel ??

PAZZLING DISCOVERY
In the early 1960s, a piece of steel bar suddenly appeared at the Mill's laboratory. After analysis and thorough research, it was established that the steel was from the end of the 19th century. Consequently, a lot of water had flowed in the Vikmanshytteån between the year of manufacture and said discovery and no living employee, not even the oldest veterans, knew of the steel quality in question.

In a price list from the year 1894 with descriptions of the types of steel Wikmanshytte Bruk manufactured at that time, however, the following text can be read:

"Tungsten steel acquires, according to its greater content of tungsten, a more and more prominent hardness already in the hardened state (natural hardness). When the tungsten content amounts to approx. 8% and with a high carbon content at the same time, it is, as unhardened, of the same hardness as hardened ordinary tool steel, and then performs the so-called self-hardening – or the Mushet steel. As such, it is mainly used for turning and planing steel, where hardening thus never needs to be considered, whereby all the inconveniences of tempering cracks, etc., which so easily accompany this operation, are completely avoided."

Self-explanatory instruction manual, right?

I do not use nor do I claim to know much about SRs, but if you need help with any translation, I can maybe help. I grew up in Sweden and I go back fairly regularly. I also grew up in a steel town where Uddeholm steel is located so I am familiar with "steel talk".

Top Bottom