What's new

Flagpole planting

Was wondering whether to post this here or under Old Fogies Workout.
Bought an 8' length of used oil field pipe, smallest I could get. Heavy duty stuff 3&1/2" OD, 1/4" wall.
Cut a 3&1/2' piece off. Dug a 3&1/2' hole in clay soil, lined bottom with 6" of rock for drainage.
This is my sleeve for a 21', 2&1/2" diameter telescoping flagpole.
Planted and packed sleeve. Filled sleeve with 30" rock. Inserted flagpole and grouted space.
Got a battery powered solar light with photo cell to fly flag 24hrs except in inclement weather.
Thank all the veterans for their service and God Bless America!
Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 1.03.45 PM.jpeg
IMG_0844.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Bought an 8' length of used oil field pipe, smallest I could get. Heavy duty stuff 3&1/2" OD, 1/4" wall.
Cut a 3&1/2' piece off. Dug a 3&1/2' hole in clay soil, lined bottom with 6" of rock for drainage.
Planted and packed sleeve. Filled sleeve with 30" rock. Inserted flagpole and grouted space.
Got a battery powered solar light with photo cell to fly flag 24hrs except in inclement weather.
Thank all the veterans for their service and God Bless America!View attachment 1785838View attachment 1785839
I see so many where the owner forgot about the light, and doesn't lower it at evening.
:sad:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I do not have poles, but I hang Old Glory over my porch, along with the Texas flag, at sunrise and take them down at sunset, avoiding the need for illumination. I absolutely hate it when small American flags get stuck in the ground for July fourth and are then left to rot, end up in the gutter, or something else ignominious. This year I may send a neighborhood flyer offering the use of my fire pit at noon the next day.

Thank all the veterans for their service and God Bless America!View attachment 1785838View attachment 1785839

Very nice. I need to get a lighted finial for mine.

I don’t recall ever seeing a flagpole with light at the top like that. I guess it’s a US thing. Can’t you ask the British to send more rockets and bombs for this?
There is the US Flag Code that says if the flag is to fly after sunset that is should be illuminated. The light does not have to be at the top, it could be a spotlight on the ground aiming up.
I suppose the British could send whatever they want, the outcome would be the same.:smile:

What a beautiful sight.
Nice job.
Thank you.

Top Bottom