What's new

First time using soap.

Used soap for first time. Found a local soap at our farmers market. It fit my dad's Old Spice shaving mug. Ordered a boar shaving brush and tried it for the first time today. Really enjoyed the results.
20220501_195307.jpg

Glad this worked for you. Buyer beware, though - some small soap makers have good product - others, not so much.

When you're ready, you can branch out into mainline soaps and artisan soapmakers. A short list (not intended to be exhaustive):

Mainline:
Proraso - I'm partial to the Red Line (sandalwood)
Cella
Tabac
Arko
Taylor of Old Bond Street

Artisan:
Sterling
Soap Commander

I don't have anything to judge the soap by, plus it was first time trying to make lather. And using a new brush didn't help. Lather wasn't super thick but my skin wasn't irritated either. I will be venturing out in the near future.

Interesting soap, with an interesting ingredients list! If I could get a puck at my farmer's market I would add it to the rotation.

Enjoy! The brush will break in. There is no absolute standard for lather, so try different lathers (wetter/drier, thicker/thinner, finer/coarser) and see what works best for you and your razor(s) of choice. I have migrated to wetter and thinner lathers as I use my straight razors more often.

The biggest lather improvement for me has been lathering at the start of the shave and giving it time to soak in while I get out and prepare the other gear.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Tillerman!
Your local shave soap ingredients list looks interesting!
Lard is essentially tallow; soy wax is a good emulsifier, but not very lathering, from what i've read.
So, you might have some work with your brush to raise a good lather.
And, with some break-in use, your boar brush will give you great results.
Watch for the tips to start "splitting"!

proraso small boar.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful world of shave soaps ! There are so many out there, and I have no doubt that you'll soon be
on the edge of the bottomless rabbit hole. Have fun, and enjoy the journey. And remember, we here at B&B will always
encourage you to buy more and more and more and more ..... etc. LOL !

Lard is essentially tallow; soy wax is a good emulsifier, but not very lathering, from what i've read.

View attachment 1468100

View attachment 1468100
Thank for the advice and that is a good picture of the ends splitting. I wondered what people were talking about. I will be looking at my brush closer.

View attachment 1468100
Soy Wax is almost 100% Stearic Acid. It makes a good lathering soap.

Top Bottom