What's new

First time using an Alum Block

Wow! Now that's a wild ride.

I was using a Super Speed for the first time and I thought I was doing a pretty good job. Didn't feel like I was creating any problems. After the first pass I applied the alum block just to see if I had any razor burn that I didn't notice.

The tingle hit me in a couple of spots on my neck and I was totally shocked. Didn't expect it at all. Have to do a better job with my technique in the future on my neck.

I'm sold on the alum block. Something everyone should probably check out at one time or another.

Thanks to those posters here who have promoted its use. Never would have tried it without your guidance.

Excellent. Yes, I agree: I really enjoy topping off the shave with the alum block. I then dry my face and use an aftershave. A great idea, and I'm surprised it isn't more widely used---OTOH, I never heard of it until I ventured into the shaving forums.

I feel like I've had a rough couple of shaves lately after I took a beating from a Fat Boy and a Swede (in a dark alley in a part of town where I shouldn't have been...) :wink:

I just received my order from Classicshaving yesterday which included the alum bar. I also used one for the first time this morning, and, yowza! Tingles from Hades! I need to slip into something more comfortable for a few shaves... I am thinking Taylor Avocado, a Derby blade, and a 1940s Super Speed is my punishment for the next week or so.

Dennis

I'm not completely sold on the Alum block. I tend to shave myself pretty close, so there is always a decent sting when I use it. The sting I don't mind, but my neck gets pretty red on the sensitive spots after I use it. when I bypass the Alum, my skin stays nice and clear

It's interesting you say that SLider... I have the exact opposite response. For a given shave if I skip the block I always seem to get more redness/irritation that lasts for a much longer time. With the block I still get the redness (around my neck generally), but within half an hour or so it completely goes away. Do the same without the alum and it's there for well over half the day if not almost all of it.

Perhaps different skin chemistries just make it better for some and worse for others... Hell that seems to be the rule of thumb for ALL shaving products... :biggrin:

I do also wonder why your getting so much sting out of it. Again maybe just different skin sensitivities. I always get a very close shave (ATG with stretching) and on the cheeks, etc.. the alum barely tingles... The only place it "stings" at all is on my neck, and that's just a light sting...

i must cast my vote with the "for" alum bar people. i find that any irritation i may have diapears more quickly with the alum than without. if you have too much tingle you are probably shaving too agressively. often times i feel no tingle at all with the alum.

matthew

I must say I am a bit confused.After reading various posts on the forum I purchased some block.I have to say I have not used it yet.Does it do away with
razor burn or not????
Do you put it on after the shave and do you then put on your D.R. Harris aftershave milk.

Alan

Webro said:
Do you put it on after the shave and do you then put on your D.R. Harris aftershave milk.

Alan

Yes. After your cold water rinse, run the alum under the cold water and then rub it on your face.

I'm an alum block junkie right now but I have noticed that it takes some of the joy away when you put on the Baxter of California ASB afterwards.

Have to try a few shaves without the alum block but that might be awhile. I love the darn thing. :biggrin:

Ok - now I'm officially intrigued. How does one use said object? I had (wrongfully?) assumed it was something like a styptic pencil - one only applied it to where one was nicked. Am I wrong?

Bakerloo Line said:
Ok - now I'm officially intrigued. How does one use said object? I had (wrongfully?) assumed it was something like a styptic pencil - one only applied it to where one was nicked. Am I wrong?

If you do a search, there were several threads of late on alum blocks which will provide loads of info. In short, after your shave, you do the hot water rinse then usually the cool water rinse. I then take the alum block (it is a block of whitish-clear mineral) run it under the cold water and then rub all over your face where you just shaved. You will feel tingling wherever you have some irritation, weepers will be stopped, and you will feel a tightening of your pores. Lately, I have left it on until it dries but then do another cold water rinse to get the alum off and then apply some QED Da Vinci water and then my balm. I find doing that helps keep the balm feeling like it used to before I started using alum.

Dennis

Clever Dennis, a second cold water splash after the alum block. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup1:

jduffy said:
Clever Dennis, a second cold water splash after the alum block. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbup1:

Hehe - don't thank me as I picked up the tip from someone else in another alum thread.... :biggrin:

I really like using the alum block! Seldom do I get anything more than a plesant tingle when I use it.. MY lady friend however hates it! Kissing my face becomes a sour event. Needless to say, I use it only when I know I'm not going to get kissed! :drool:

J_P_K said:
I really like using the alum block! Seldom do I get anything more than a plesant tingle when I use it.. MY lady friend however hates it! Kissing my face becomes a sour event. Needless to say, I use it only when I know I'm not going to get kissed! :drool:

Ha! Gives a new meaning to 'pucker-up'!:lol: You can still use the alum, just rinse your face again with after using it.

I use it then do a 2nd cold water rinse about 30 seconds later. By then it has worked its magic for me and it is off to the rest of my post-shave activities.

Top Bottom