What's new

First Straight Shave, Unexpected Impediment

So I've been shaving with a DE for over a year and a half and I've always been tempted by the appeal of the straight. Finally, I gave in and sent my money away to Whipped Dog and received a beautiful razor through a sight-unseen deal. I watched videos, I read instructions, but nothing prepared me for...

...my big fat hands...

I was turning my head up and down, side to side, but I could barely see the bottom of my side burn and also make sure I wasn't going to lop my ear off. Both my hand and the scales sticking straight up were impairing my line of sight in the mirror. I didn't realize this was a problem. I saw, on some videos, some men using, say, their right hand to shave their left upper cheek and vice versa (things sort of reversed so their hand and the scales were behind the ear). Is this the only way to have a clear view if you're a giant with giant hands? I was trying to stick with basic grips for my first shave.

I got through two "full" passes before doing one more with my DE to clear up all the hair I left, and then left for work 10-15 minutes later than usual. Any thoughts?

No blood, but not a close shave. I will try again.

I'm new to straights as well so hopefully someone else can chime in.

It looks like it's easier to switch hands for some strokes. Personally, I skipped trying to use my non-dominant hand and only use my right hand for the entire shave. You definitely have to learn how to adjust your grip, hand, and head to get a good line of sight. For me, I would have to lean my forehead toward the mirror so I could see what I was doing for some passes. After a while, you get a better hang of where the razor blade is even if you can't quite see it.

Yeah, when I thought I was placing it on the bottom of my side burn, it was mostly a matter of faith that first time. I imagine it can only improve and I will gain some intuition and also figure out the best angles to see what I'm doing, when possible.

I started about a month or so ago, since then I can now happily shave my jawline on the left side with my left (wrong) hand without seeing the blade - feeling is sufficient. You'll quickly adjust your hand/head/eyes to see your sideburns so dont worry. If you prefer you can use a DE to trim up but you'll never really learn as quickly.
Good luck and keep the faith!

Top Bottom