What's new

First shave back

Hey guys,

I posted this in the newbie check in thread and it was suggested to repost here as well.

Newbie wetshaver here. I have some decent experience shaving but took a 3 year hiatus with a beard and only edged with a buzzer. I’m a “butcher” for Costco (can’t break down a side of beef and truly only trim mostly stuff that’s already been deboned) so knives are kind of my thing. Only ever sharpened on a grind stone and have used tons of steels but prefer an F. Dick Multi-cut steel. I used to have a nice set of used Victorinox knives but lost them to an act of God, along with my mesh glove and my F. Dick.

I feel like I’m starting over, so I’m trying to learn as much as I can again. I’m extremely new to online forums so I have no idea where to look, what abbreviations mean, or how to “get permissions” to post comments in the buy trade and sell section haha.

Things I really want to focus on learning:
Stropping properly
Honing
And possibly restoration as a hobby

I’m working with a DOVO Best Class No. 95 5/8 Full Hollow Grind (if anyone knows any more about this blade, ie. type of metal, year produced, things of that nature I’d love to hear about it), a DOVO badger hair brush and an unknown soap from years ago. I also have some shave cream from Art of Shaving and another small tube I’ve had for years but haven’t used. I have trouble creating a good lather from the soap and tend to lean on the creams but would like to change this.

I recently purchased a Naniwa Super Stone 12k grit but have no idea what to do with it and am a little worried about messing up my edge. I tried taking a couple passes on the stone and it shaved a bit better than just stropping with my first shave back. I get an okay shave currently but I’m definitely not “shave ready.” Pretty sure I have a very small chip in the edge and some burring at the toe.

I’m thinking about sending it out for a proper hone to get back to shave ready so I have an idea of what to strive for. I’m also thinking about buying some inexpensive straights to practice honing on. And then maybe getting into some damaged ones for restoration.

I don’t know, just kind of throwing it all out there and hoping anyone is willing to help. Thanks for reading my essay guys.

*update*

I’ve shaved about twice more since this and my muscle memory is starting to come back. My angles have been much better and I’ve had a lot less slip ups than with the first shave. I still have some irritation left over from the first shave that I think is just being re irritated every shave. Trying to take some time to let that heal again. I haven’t attempted honing again, but my stropping muscle memory came back as well and my technique has gotten much more fluid again. Just having issues with creating a good lather with the soap. I can’t for the life of me get a good ratio of soap/water/agitation. Anyway, just glad to be back at it and am really glad I found this forum.

9C8D36B6-2E16-4EF4-9FBD-3755AA9DBEAE.jpeg
4915B1EC-AA03-449F-AF2C-27A7205FDFB3.jpeg
CA8B65D3-598C-4256-8AF8-348BC95737E0.jpeg
94E4422A-BF31-4A19-B543-73C483884FBD.jpeg
2F0F7295-840B-4F2F-81EA-5800D3323C8A.jpeg
6769F379-EAE4-4C14-93DB-6E583365E1A9.jpeg
C6A67604-9F6A-49F0-8501-4F24853C557F.jpeg

Honing straights is really easy to learn with the right tools and techniques. Lynn Abrams on youtube is a great starting point. What you will notice is that most have their on routines. Many guys use lapping film and pasted balsa instead of stones. Find what works well for your situation and develop your own routine.

10min with very light pressure on your 12k followed by 100 or so laps on the strop will do wonders.

Last edited:
where are you located?

i’m just outside of DC in Va but i’ll rebevel and hone it up for you (just cover shipping both ways). just PM me.

I read a lot, watched some videos and then just went at it. I have a dovo best and believe they are good razors. I would encourage you to accept @global_dev offer. Then your 12k will be perfect for maintenance. As to restoration it's another world. Fun and disappointing at times. It is satisfying to take an old razor that's junk and turn it into a daily tool. Good luck

I feel like I’m starting over, so I’m trying to learn as much as I can again. I’m extremely new to online forums so I have no idea where to look, what abbreviations mean, or how to “get permissions” to post comments in the buy trade and sell section haha.
don't be afraid to try to use the search tool here, really easy to use, it'`s all been asked before by all of us..

Things I really want to focus on learning:
Stropping properly
Honing
And possibly restoration as a hobby

check out this guide click > Interactive Guide to Straight Razor Shaving

I’m working with a DOVO Best Class No. 95 5/8 Full Hollow Grind (if anyone knows any more about this blade, ie. type of metal, year produced, things of that nature I’d love to hear about it),
while a very nice blade, there is not much else to know.

Your razor is stainless steel, probably 21st century, at min 1991+ based on logo version. Based on the stainless steel, plain shape of point and spine and scales, if those are wood, it's not exactly an entry level razor, but not too far up the catalogue to their high end ones. It is very nice for what it is.

Here is some DOVO history
DOVO Solingen  |   The History

a DOVO badger hair brush and an unknown soap from years ago. I also have some shave cream from Art of Shaving and another small tube I’ve had for years but haven’t used. I have trouble creating a good lather from the soap and tend to lean on the creams but would like to change this.

I would ditch the unknown soap and use the cream until you acquire new soap that is known. The soap scene has blown up over the last 3 years. Lots to choose from. But AOS creams are pretty good but pricey, proraso is pretty good and I think can be found at Bath & Body Works. the brush looks fine, i might shampoo it to potentially clean out some residue, it might help you with lather.

I recently purchased a Naniwa Super Stone 12k grit but have no idea what to do with it and am a little worried about messing up my edge. I tried taking a couple passes on the stone and it shaved a bit better than just stropping with my first shave back.

Naniwa 12000 grit - one of the highest rated finishing stones, mirror-polished, Stones should be lapped before first use! for shave ready maintenance of straight razors dozen strokes or so a month with only water and very little pressure, and your razor will stay sharp.

This stone is the or near the final end of honing progression
(800->2K) bevel > (2K-8K) mid polishing > (8K-12K (maybe even to 30K)) finishing polish

I’m also thinking about buying some inexpensive straights to practice honing on. And then maybe getting into some damaged ones for restoration.
Don't buy razors shape objects from pakistan. chinese razors have QC all over the place depending on the model and may require some modification (gold dollar 66s are the worst offender of stabilizer, spine and grind issues but also inexpensive), but fun to play around with. Vintage razors are a good source experience, look for decent condition. see that guide above, iirc.

I’ve shaved about twice more since this and my muscle memory is starting to come back. My angles have been much better and I’ve had a lot less slip ups than with the first shave.
Keep the razor angles less than 30 degrees. make sure the lather is more wet like yogurt, than fluffy. use your alum to keep your fingers dry and "sticky" for skin stretching.

I still have some irritation left over from the first shave that I think is just being re irritated every shave. Trying to take some time to let that heal again.
good idea!

I haven’t attempted honing again, but my stropping muscle memory came back as well and my technique has gotten much more fluid again.
the 12000 may not be sufficient to rehab/refinish the edge. Stropp lightly and remember to flip the blade around the spine.

Just having issues with creating a good lather with the soap. I can’t for the life of me get a good ratio of soap/water/agitation.
Put the soap to the side, use the cream for now. Practice palm lathering the soap until you can get a good lather with it if you have to use that soap eventually.

Lots of people struggle with williams (can be lathered), hand soap makers who try to make shave soap (usually not that good to lather). take some pics and describe the feel and time life of your lather and folks here can tell you if it's too dry or wet.

Good Luck

Top Bottom