What's new

First experience

C

crank

After reading these forums for a while, I've built up the courage to expose my neck to a straight blade and hopefuly not tear it to ribbons- I can report that as of moments ago my cuthroat cherry has been popped!

With a steady hand, I put my brand new Dovo to work. Whilst it seems to be quite sharp, I would akin the shave to more of a scratchy feeling- pulling the hairs rather than cutting them. I have VERY thick stubble and wonder if perhaps if either it's not sharp enough or more likely it's natural and I just need to keep at my technique (yes I realise it's my first time :001_tt2: ). I considered getting my razor honed before using it for the first time, but living in Melbourne, Australia, I'm unsure of where to get it done seeings that I only know of a single barber that actually gives a traditional shave.

The best part I feel though, is that for the most part I haven't had such a close shave (on my cheeks, the rest was a bit iffy) in a long time. Granted it took me about 30 minutes and I'm not yet ready to throw out the Mach 3 yet, but I'm definately hooked!

Cheers,

Matty

here's a pic of my razor (minus the plaque) DOVO 5/8 black timber handle
proxy.php

You need to turn on your images setting in the CP to show them I think.

Your shave wasn't probably what you expected because your Dovo probably was not properly honed and shave ready...

Cheers

It really pains me to make the following comment, but here goes.

That razor is exactly the same model as one my wife purchased for me as a well-intended birthday gift.

Mine turned out to be a DOG. It was not really shave ready as I received it, and on top of that it was incorrectly ground (it bowed slightly upwards in the middle of the blade's cutting edge).

I have lots of experience with sharpening and honing, so I reshaped it and honed it up. Yet no matter what I did I couldn't get it to hold a proper edge so that it would shave comfortably.

I took it back to the store and they were kind enough to send it back to the factory for sharpening.

The factory sharpening was no better than my own. I guess this batch of razors just had lousy steel. Mine did, anyway.

This razor was always unpleasant to shave with and always left a last bit of stubble that I couldn't get rid of even with multiple passes.

I finally oiled it up and laid it away in its case ... and if it were not a memento of my wife's kindness I would have tossed the #@&ç! thing in the trash.

First, congratulations on taking the jump! My hand shook the first time I tried it, but now I switch hands with ease and still keep all my blood on the inside of my face!

I have only one Dovo - a 4/8 stainless model, and I am not yet happy with the edge I have on it. At times it's great, but it's inconsistent. If you did not get your razor honed, then that's your first step. Perhaps you could post looking for honemeisters in Australia. Or, you could get a norton stone and see how that works for you. I'm comfortable with honing so I took to it fairly easily.

However, you might have a bad razor and should seek out another - preferably a used shave-ready one posted by a member looking to thin the herd.

Good luck!

You absoultely can not count on new razors being shave ready from the factory, most are nowhere near being "shave-ready". If you are serious about trying to get a great shave from your razor you really need to send the razor to someone like lynn (the classicshaving honing service) so that you can feel what a "shave ready" razor feels like.

I have to agree with most of the other posters. New razors come in all variable stages. Some give reasonable shaves, some poor and some don't shave at all. Dovo's are the worst offenders. I find TI's to give much better and consistant shaves out of the box. Of course being new to this doesn't help because you really don't know what a sharp razor feels like. I would definitly check out SRP and buy a vintage shave ready razor and once you are able to, hone up that dovo or send it out for honing.

Hello guys

I just wanted to point out that Mastro Livi's razors do come shave ready, just like R. Williams, J. Chandler's and a few others. I think this differentiation to be important also because I think that it's very important for anyone wishing to switch to the straight razor shave, to start with a shave ready razor, this will provide them with a proper beginning and with a proxy on how it feels to shave properly.

I strongly believe that selling dull razors is bad for business, made even worse by false claims about their shave readiness.

Cheers

Vincent

Top Bottom