What's new

First DE Shave

Gents this one ya gotta hear. First off the shave, better than the cartridges, so so razor burn, a couple of minor nicks. All in all I'm rather inpressed and think I did well after 20 years of cartridges.

Now for the fiasco part. I've been waiting and waiting for my razor to arrive and so it did, last week. Postman left it in the apartment office but left nothing telling me this. So rather than buy more cartridges I've been gritting through a cartridge that needed to be replace a day or two after i ordered my razor. Might be one reason why the DE feels so much better. Then I got a Bright Idea. Since its so new to me I might not want to shave in the morning when I might be somewhat groggy so I'll shave tonight. I run some hot water for my brush to soak in and jump in the shower. Glad it wasn't a long shower. Notice where I said I ran some hot water? Well I never turned it off. Our sinks don't have the little hole at the top to prevent overflow so; boom, out comes the shop vac. Fifteen minutes of that and my face has been dry for a while. I pick up as much of the water as my vac can and then begin to re wet my face, allowing time so that it can soften up again. Shave while totally distracted by standing on wet carpet.

Reflections:
Turn the sink off.
Figure out how to work up proper lather.
Turn the sink off.
Pay a bit more attention to my angle and pressure.
Wet my face before relathering.
Is the sink off?
Develop shaving directions personalized to my beard growth.
Keep a lighter hand at all times.
Did I mention to turn the sink off?
:lol:

I have to hand it to you for hanging in there! congratulation on the first shave. The next will be more relaxing lets hope.

Thanks for sharing that story Creslin. It brought a smile to a day that was otherwise rough.

Welcome to B&B, and best of luck to you in your new shaving endeavour.

Creslin,
Well done, perseverance in all things. A bit of misadventure makes life entertaining.
Cheers,
Jeff

I think we are going to have to post an in-depth instruction guide for newbies that they must read b4 they attempt their first shave.

the last 2 guys have cracked me up while reading their stories( creslin and khaos). :biggrin:

Welcome to the collective- you will b assimilated!

Marty

I'm glad everyone has seen the humor of my story. I had to look at it in a humorous light as well, or I'de have been so ticked I could have made the mother of all lathers as I frothed at the mouth.

Call me a glutton for punishment. I didn't wait 24 hours to shave again. Shaved this morning, a bare 12 hours after the sink fiasco. Results, were not bad at all. Not BBS but clser to it than with a cartridge. Still a bit of razor burn but much less than if I had used a cartridge. The angle isn't giving me fits, not that I'm holding the perfect angle but I'm allready critiquing and adjusting. If I can just get a good lather figured out I'll be in high cotton. I'll keep reading, keep practicing. It may be that I won't be able to get that good a lather till I get a C&E brush. That should get ordered next week.

You will find that reading this forum will help a lot, and asking questions will help more. But an equally important part of the equation is experimentation. For example, this week I started lathering on my face instead of using a bowl. This has completed eliminated razor burn/irritation.

Why? I've concluded that spending all that time swirling the brush around on my whiskers instead of the bowl softens the hair a great deal and makes everything very slick. YMMV, as others swear by lathering in a bowl. But you have to find what works for you.

Other variables, like angle, number/direction of passes, how to hold the DE, are things you'll pick up here at B&B and perfect on your own.

Creslin said:
I'm glad everyone has seen the humor of my story. I had to look at it in a humorous light as well, or I'de have been so ticked I could have made the mother of all lathers as I frothed at the mouth.

Call me a glutton for punishment. I didn't wait 24 hours to shave again. Shaved this morning, a bare 12 hours after the sink fiasco. Results, were not bad at all. Not BBS but clser to it than with a cartridge. Still a bit of razor burn but much less than if I had used a cartridge. The angle isn't giving me fits, not that I'm holding the perfect angle but I'm allready critiquing and adjusting. If I can just get a good lather figured out I'll be in high cotton. I'll keep reading, keep practicing. It may be that I won't be able to get that good a lather till I get a C&E brush. That should get ordered next week.
This statement is more true than you know. A truly great lather can compensate for some errors made with pressure and blade angle.

Creslin,

If you describe your lather process to the guys they might be able to give you tips to improve your lather. Also describe your shaving cream/soap and brush. In my experience(very little), I was getting ok lather for a long time but when I finally bought a Badger hair brush, the lather was 50 times better and easier to attain. In addition, when I started using quality shaving creams the lather also improved and so did the entire shaving experience. Keep trying and enjoy!!

Rafael

Well, I'm attempting to make my lather according to the basic technique I've read about here. I think the two things holding my later back right now are the cheap Burma Shave brush and the lack of practical experience in building the lather. Such things are like welding or playing the guitar. You can read about each untill doomsday amassing all the knowledge needed but untill you actually try it you'll never be a guitar player or a welder.

Basically I soak the brush while I shower (this step is adjusted to prevent overflow of the sink of course) Shake the brush out and swirl it in my Mama Bear's soap untill a lather is starting to build then transfer to another dish. Adding a few drops of water at a time untill i'm starting to get a lather. I can get peaks, I just can't seem to get a large amount and it doesn't have the slickness I need. I'm and experimentor though, and I'll use any ideas and end up working out something that works for me.

I appreciate all the help.

Personally, I've never been able to get a great lather from a Burma Shave brush. I'm quite sure that someone will now chime in with reports of the fantastic lather that they regularly build with their Burma Shave, and to them I give a hearty congratulations. I think you will find the C&E brush much easier to use and will quickly be building that meringue-like lather that you've been hearing so much about.

You may also want to experiment with a cream or 2--for me, creams tend to be easier to produce lather with than soaps.:wink:

1st, get a better brush. Second try some creams. Most companies will send you samples. If you are going to C&E to get a brush then ask for samples. They will give them to you as well. Then lather till your floor is an inch in foamy meringue then you won't care that the sink is still running! You will be slinging lather all over the room!

Top Bottom