What's new

Finally Decided to Use the Straights

About three years ago I bought my first straight, a Wade & Butcher, as well as a Tony Miller strop. Shortly afterwards I got a Fram and then a Dubl Duck Goldedge. The W&B and DD were about as sharp as a butter knife. The Fram was a little sharper and could shave/pull the hair on my arm. So they sat unused for the most part. I would try the Fram from time to time but it was just too painful. I bought Lynn Abrams' DVD and decided I could sharpen them myself. But still they sat.

Finally, two months ago, I decided to get the Norton 4k/8k. I tried honing the Fram since it seemed closest to being sharp. After a while I figured out the right way and began using it on a semi regular basis, still using my DE's mostly. I kept practicing my sharpening skills and got it very sharp and comfortable. I began using it exclusively two weeks ago. I then began working on the Dubl Duck and last night I finally got the shave I was looking for with it.

I still have to work on my technique in some areas but I have a feeling my days of using DE's may be coming to an end.

Congratulations and good luck. You have some nice razors to work with. Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider sending one of your razors off to one of the seasoned guys here for a professional honing. As you work through the learning curve (of both shaving and honing), it's nice to have a basis for comparison.

I'm a newbie at straights too. Do as much of your face as you feel comfortable and increase as your confidence goes. Give it time.

Congratulations and good luck. You have some nice razors to work with. Just a suggestion, but you might want to consider sending one of your razors off to one of the seasoned guys here for a professional honing. As you work through the learning curve (of both shaving and honing), it's nice to have a basis for comparison.

Thanks, and that's good advice and I started to do that in the beginning but I'm determined to do it all myself (kinda hardheaded like that). I'm pretty sure I'll know when I get 'em right. I'm not there yet but a whole lot closer.

I'm a newbie at straights too. Do as much of your face as you feel comfortable and increase as your confidence goes. Give it time.

I've progressed to doing all of my face and so far so good :thumbup1:

Glad to hear you are giving it another go, Rodney! Keep us posted with your progress. Sounds like you are doing great so far! :thumbup1:

Thanks and I will. I am really enjoying this type of shaving so far :thumbup:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks, and that's good advice and I started to do that in the beginning but I'm determined to do it all myself (kinda hardheaded like that). I'm pretty sure I'll know when I get 'em right. I'm not there yet but a whole lot closer.

I salute your will and determination.

If you get it so it cuts the hair easily, and is comfortable during the process, what more do you need, really, right?

Good work. When I first strarted straight shaving not all that long ago I thought that there was no way you could shave around your chin or under your nose with a straight. It felt so awkward and uncomfortable to even try. Now the blade just glides around. It is just practise.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I've progressed to doing all of my face and so far so good :thumbup1:

Thanks and I will. I am really enjoying this type of shaving so far :thumbup:

Sounds great. I'm a bit of a hardhead too. I found the cheap Radio Shack pocket microscope to be of great aid in getting a shave ready edge.

Mike

You have really good blades there & also seem to have the determination that is needed.
Good luck on your continuing journey :001_smile

Like you, I was apprehensive at first. And, like you, I have ditched the DE's until further notice.

I even sold off my Mergress. I have a Merkur slant which hasn't been used for months. And I have a red tip which hasn't seen action in years. I have a stock of DE blades which I keep around for when my shaving buddies here run out.

Since I have a Feather AC and a KAI Captain, I don't always need to strop to shave with a straight. I can get it done almost as quickly as with a DE.

I have given thanks to my DEs and they have found proper homes with friends of mine who I have coerced to stop using modern pieces of plastic crap. But for now, I haven't replaced a blade in a DE for months. I'd feel like I was cheating on my straights.

Congratulations on starting the journey. Go slow and never try anything you do not feel comfortable with. You are quite right about your DE. I have not used mine for about one and a half months.

Top Bottom