What's new

Feather Artist DX & Blade Questions

I have been using my newly acquired Feather Artist DX for a few days now. I am enjoying the experience much more than I thought I would. I really was prepared to try it once, and put it on the auction block. That assumption was wrong, and the DX will be living with me for who knows how long. I didn't think I would like the short blade length, but find that it really is easy to get into those tight quarters such as the "jowl" area just behind the jaw (where I often nick myself with the point on a regular straight. All that aside, I want to know if it is possible to get a close shave with the Pro Guard Blades, or if I will need to change to the Pro, or Super Pro blades? As it stands now, I am shaving with the DX then making a pass with my DE, and getting smoother shaves than possible with either one alone. All in all it's not a bad arrangement, but I would like to be able to use just one razor.
Thanks, Ken.

I have been using my newly acquired Feather Artist DX (Thanks SteelForge) for a few days now. I am enjoying the experience much more than I thought I would. I really was prepared to try it once, and put it on the auction block. That assumption was wrong, and the DX will be living with me for who knows how long. I didn't think I would like the short blade length, but find that it really is easy to get into those tight quarters such as the "jowl" area just behind the jaw (where I often nick myself with the point on a regular straight. All that aside, I want to know if it is possible to get a close shave with the Pro Guard Blades, or if I will need to change to the Pro, or Super Pro blades? As it stands now, I am shaving with the DX then making a pass with my DE, and getting smoother shaves than possible with either one alone. All in all it's not a bad arrangement, but I would like to be able to use just one razor.
Thanks, Ken.

There's little reason to shave with the Pro Guards. You'll get a closer shave with either of the other blades, and I prefer the pro Supers.

I like my Feather as well although I have been using regular str8s recently. And yes you can get a great shave with them. I don't plan on giving mine away anytime soon either.:thumbup1:

DaveS

I find the shaves last longer with a Feather, and with about 3-4 passes it is possible to get close shaves, but you need to be prepared (depending on your hair) to go against the grain, or at least S-N on your neck. just going WTG and XTG did not help (at least for me). But, let me say that, unless you are planning to stick with pro-guards, you should really use pro blades or super pro blades as soon as possible, otherwise you get too used to the proguards, and if you start with unguarded blades, you will use more pressure (as you could with proguards), and cut yourself easily. That is what happened to me. The proguards allowed me to use a certain degree of pressure, but going to professional blades gave me nicks and cuts, as I was so used to the pressure I could use before.

To answer your question, unguarded blades will give you a close shave, but it may take an extra pass or so.

From what I am hearing I will be switching to Super Pro blades tomorrow morning. I have a few shaves with the DX under my belt, so it's probably time to take off the training wheels. Going S to N so far has been a problem. I have been able to do so with a regular straight to some extent, but haven't made it with the DX. Thanks for your comments.
Ken.

I've only ever used the super pros - and gotten very good results.

FWIW, I have no problem going ATG with the super pros.

I would say, try ATG with a pro-guard first, to get used to it, but it is much easier with the feather, as the blades are so much sharper than an ordinary straight.

I would say, try ATG with a pro-guard first, to get used to it, but it is much easier with the feather, as the blades are so much sharper than an ordinary straight.

It dawns on me that ATG can be used for across the grain or against the grain. I am having problems going against the grain, as in South to North.
Ken.

It dawns on me that ATG can be used for across the grain or against the grain. I am having problems going against the grain, as in South to North.
Ken.

Point that. Pretty sure people usually use ATG to mean Against, but I guess it could mean Across. I feel like most peoples use XTG for Across.....

Btw, for me, and for a lot of other people, S-N isn't really against the grain on most of my face.... Mostly it is diagonally across/against.

-Mo

This morning I took the groups advice. I switched to a Super Pro blade instead of the Pro Guards. While I was at it I proved that I still have blood.:w00t: It wasn't that bad, but I did use a styptic pencil and followed that with a alum block (something I seldom use). The Super Pro blades are utterly unforgiving. To be honest I would stick with the Pro Guard blades if they gave a little closer shave, but they don't, so I'll be using a Super Pro blade tomorrow morning. I'll be using the styptic and alum if necessary too!:biggrin: Alert the blood bank; OK?
Best Regards, Ken
Who has a brand new styptic pencil in waiting...

This morning I took the groups advice. I switched to a Super Pro blade instead of the Pro Guards. While I was at it I proved that I still have blood.:w00t: It wasn't that bad, but I did use a styptic pencil and followed that with a alum block (something I seldom use). The Super Pro blades are utterly unforgiving. To be honest I would stick with the Pro Guard blades if they gave a little closer shave, but they don't, so I'll be using a Super Pro blade tomorrow morning. I'll be using the styptic and alum if necessary too!:biggrin: Alert the blood bank; OK?
Best Regards, Ken
Who has a brand new styptic pencil in waiting...

There is a tremendous difference between the first shave with a new blade and all the rest of the shaves with that blade. Eventually, you just learn to go real light when you have a new blade in. I think this is the reason why you hear so many report about "inconsistent" blades with Feather AC's. I haven't seen a one. The blades are regular like clockwork, but a new blade is nothing like one that's been used three or four shaves. If you don't remember to back off, you'll feel it.

After my last post I was not only feeling a little morose, but also feeling early onset afternoon stubble (it seems as though my belly isn't the only thing growing faster with age:blushing:). As luck would have it, my 12K Chinese Water-stone arrived in the morning mail. I laid a pencil grid on both sides, soaked it in water and flattened it with my DIH (diamond impregnated hone). After flattening the 12K, I took 2 of my favorite vintage razors, which are a Sears "Queen" and a "Grey Steel" blade made by the F.H. Schwan B.S. Co of Tacoma Washington. Both are roughly 5/8 hollow ground, carbon bladed razors. After honing them on the 12K I gave the Grey Steel blade 50 strokes per side on my Heritage #1 Red Latino strop. Because my face was slightly sensitive from my morning shave I chose C&E Sweet Almond Cream for my lathering agent. With the lightest of touch, the Grey Steel glided over my face with a soft swooshing sound, and left a path of smooth skin in it's wake. I followed that with a rinse, a generous slathering of Proraso Liquid Shave Balm, and a light application of Sienna Colene. Not one single drop of blood was spilled this time either.
Tomorrow morning will find me back with the Feather AC DX in my hand, but for now I am happy to have had an old friend to fall back on for comfort.
Best Regards, Ken.

Top Bottom