What's new

FC Piper Cracked Ice with a Masuyama Nib

Piper Classic Rock from Franklin-Christoph
with a Michael Masuyama Nib

Disclaimer / Background

This was my first new fountain pen purchase in almost twenty years. I did a great deal of research and decided a Franklin-Christoph pen was the way to go.

FC’s Jim Rouse was a great selection resource. The phone time he willingly spent with me ate up their profits on this sale. This pen was not a standard sales item at the time. I shared photos of this pen with B&B members and suddenly they were selling this pen on their site.
Purchase date: June 2013

Packaging

Nothing to write home about…
It comes in a pen sized, heavy paper box. You are definitely buying a pen and not a box.

Basic Specs…

View attachment 541096

Color – Gray and black cracked ice
Style – Classic screw cap fountain pen
Body Material – Acrylic
Grip Material – Acrylic
Filling Scheme – Converter/cartridge
Steel Nib – Michael Masuyama 1.1mm Stub
Furniture – Gold plate
Diameter Cap – .61" diameter of cap rings
Diameter Grip – .425" diameter of center of grip section
Body Length – 4.85" barrel (from nib tip to top of cap)
Cap Length – 2.65" cap
Capped Length – 6.75" posted (from nib tip to top of cap)
Posted Length – 6.75" posted (from nib tip to top of cap)
Stock Nib Choices – extra fine, fine, medium, broad, 1.1 cursive calligraphy, 1.5 cursive calligraphy[/h]

Fit and Finish

There was not a mark or a scratch anywhere on the pen or the packaging materials. Every part of the pen was firm and tight. It filled perfectly the first time out. (I did flush the pen with warm water.)

The section is gold plated metal inside and acrylic covered on the outside. It is substantial.

The pen looks great. Its looks far exceed its cost.

The Nib

This pen has a Michael Masuyama 1.1mm stub. It behaves as it is supposed to. It smoothly puts down a wet line with lots of variation. I pulled this nib picture off the FC web site. It shows the steel nib but not the cut of the nib.

The section of my pen is cracked ice acrylic. It is not black.

View attachment 541098

Here’s a two year old writing sample. My hand is in better shape now…

View attachment 541097

Hand Feel

The pen feels great in the hand unposted. The balance is excellent. I find it back heavy when posted. YMMV…

The pen is very comfortable in my hand. It is a great letter writer.

Ink Capacity

It uses a standard sized converter. The converter shipped with the pen is my best converter.

Bottom Line

I would definitely buy this pen again. No buyer’s remorse followed this purchase.

Last edited:
Top Bottom