What's new

Experts please help - DE user looking to buy first straight - considering this one...

I wouldn't get that razor. According to several members the quality is not that great. I would go with Whipped Dog with a poor mans strop kit. You can always get a fancy razor later.

Hello!

Looking for some advice saw this one on eBay - do you think this is a good razor (link below). Any brand suggestions for the first timer? Are vintage ones better then new ones? Thank you!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/STRAIGHT-RAZ...ultDomain_0&hash=item4601ebb75e#ht_655wt_1156

I have never heard of the razor you link to on EBay, so I will defer to Noah's advice. As for brand suggestions go, if you want something new many go to a Dovo blade. That is what I did, but I have found that my vintage Bokers and Union Cutlery sharpen up nicer and perform better than the Dovo "Best Quality" I have. However, the Dovo blade is definitely a good one and can be found right around the same price as the one you are looking at on EBay.

Are vintage blades better than new ones? They can be, but only if know what to look for; otherwise, you can be taken for a ride. It is better to buy a vintage razor from some place like Whipped Dog where all the guess work has been taken out from the purchase and you get a honed blade that is shave ready.

Happy shopping and welcome to straight shaving.

Last edited:
Thank you for a detailed advice - I will pass on the one I considered and look up the Whipped Dog.
Cheers!

Top Bottom