What's new

Esterbrook Restoration question

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Received an Esterbrook J pen that needs a new sac. Soaked and ultrasound cleaned the pen to get it apart, remove old ink and sac remnants. After getting out all that came loose, I now look into the barrel and see a half circle "wall" which I initially thought was dried ink. If the fill lever is at the 12 o'clock position as you peer down the barrel, the afore mentioned "wall" occupies the position from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and is about 1/8 inch tall, or less, and is at the depth that the end of the section would reach. Is this supposed to be there or does it need to be removed?

That's a "sac tray". It was used by Esterbrook to allow them to use a #16 sac (of which they apparently had an abundant supply) in place of a #18 sac (which a "J" barrel is large enough to handle). As long as it's still in place and not broken, leave it in the barrel and use a #16 sac. If you decide to take it out and try a #18 sac (for a marginally increased capacity) then make sure that the larger sac fits tightly on the section nipple. Functionally, the tray probably won't make much difference as long as the sac is tightly secured.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The sac tray helps the pressure bar in squeezing the sac and improve filling.

Leave it be.

You mentioned U.S. Cleaner. Do you have one, if yes, does it work well?
Not sure who you're directing the question to, but I'll answer anyway! Yes, I purchased an Ultrasonic Cleaner in late December 2014, and I think it's fabulous. It's simple, fast, and safe, and it does a terrific job of removing old, caked-on ink from nibs, feeds, sections, etc. Just be careful not to use it on items with painted-on decorations (e.g. the numbers on a Fat Boy) or other fragile, easily damaged trim. I've used it on jewelry, eyeglasses, razors, pens, etc.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Yes I have an ultrasonic cleaner, works great, use caution with fragile finishes, will eat the painted numbers off of a FatBoy or Slim. A tip for cleaning small parts, use a thin walled glass beaker with your cleaning solution, set into water bath, conserves cleaning solution for small parts, works great.

Yes I have an ultrasonic cleaner, works great, use caution with fragile finishes, will eat the painted numbers off of a FatBoy or Slim. A tip for cleaning small parts, use a thin walled glass beaker with your cleaning solution, set into water bath, conserves cleaning solution for small parts, works great.

When I asked you about US cleaners I was just being friendly and making conversation. I own an ultrasonic cleaner $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421462205.591605.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Taylorpuppy, Your ultrasonic cleaner is identical to mine, just branded differently. Works really well for most of my purposes.

Top Bottom