What's new

Don't forget a Good Quality Pen in your Wardrobe!

It often amazes me when I look around at business meetings and gatherings.

Men come along in their handmade suits and shoes and ladies are so keen to show off their latest Gucci shoes and handbags. They then sit down and pull out a cheap Bic pen with chewed cap!

I can't see the point in paying £1,000 for a suit and not investing a few hundred pounds in a decent pen to complete the 'image'.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I feel the same way, often wondering how someone that can afford an expensive suit and Swiss watch can write with a 49¢ stick pen.

It does look kinda funny when you think about it.
You don't even need to spend a lot to get a nice pen.
Take care of it and it will last a good long time.

The only time I've consistently seen certain people carrying good pens is salesmen (higher end types selling to big corporations), the ones who have memberships at the right places and tickets to various events, always looking to impress the client. 99% of the time it's a Mont Blanc ball point. Nothing against Mont Blanc but I do feel many times it's chosen strictly because it's a recognizable brand.

The only time I've consistently seen certain people carrying good pens is salesmen (higher end types selling to big corporations), the ones who have memberships at the right places and tickets to various events, always looking to impress the client. 99% of the time it's a Mont Blanc ball point. Nothing against Mont Blanc but I do feel many times it's chosen strictly because it's a recognizable brand.

They do seem like the Rolex of pens... And not a knock on either (Someday, I'd like a Submariner too), but I think they are the only ones that have much in the way of cachet with non pen geeks. FWIW, I use my FPs at all kinds of meetings, and I don't think I have ever gotten a comment.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It often amazes me when I look around at business meetings and gatherings.

Men come along in their handmade suits and shoes and ladies are so keen to show off their latest Gucci shoes and handbags. They then sit down and pull out a cheap Bic pen with chewed cap!

I can't see the point in paying £1,000 for a suit and not investing a few hundred pounds in a decent pen to complete the 'image'.

Heck, it's hard enough to get guys to wear a properly tailored suit and well-polishd leather shoes ... let alone bespoke.

In my experience if a guy has put enough thought into his dress to be well turned out (regardless of how much he spends) then he's probably put some thought into his pen, too. But of course I'm half a world away.

They do seem like the Rolex of pens... And not a knock on either (Someday, I'd like a Submariner too), but I think they are the only ones that have much in the way of cachet with non pen geeks. FWIW, I use my FPs at all kinds of meetings, and I don't think I have ever gotten a comment.

When I read that post, I thought "oh, it's the 'Rolex of Pens' ..." sheesh. :ohmy:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

Such folk perhaps go too far. I for one am more comfortable knowing that the price charged is fair and not supporting ostentatious flash. (at least don't wave the flash in my face)

Yes, it can be a bit of a 'double Edge Sword' if you are selling I suppose. Look too prosperous and your prospective clients may think they are supporting your lifestyle, look too 'down at heel' and they may feel that you won't be in business long.

I worked at the sportswear company Fila a while ago and the sales reps all insisted on having BMWs and Audi A4 (my view was, give them a lesser car until they reach certain sales targets, but I was only the humble IT manager) - needless to say, Fila Uk went out of business in a short while after.

A decent pen, pulled out by someone selling to me would just indicate that he or she takes pride in their writing.

Such folk perhaps go too far. I for one am more comfortable knowing that the price charged is fair and not supporting ostentatious flash. (at least don't wave the flash in my face)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes, it can be a bit of a 'double Edge Sword' if you are selling I suppose. Look too prosperous and your prospective clients may think they are supporting your lifestyle, look too 'down at heel' and they may feel that you won't be in business long.

A decent pen, pulled out by someone selling to me would just indicate that he or she takes pride in their writing.

I think that unless one opts for a real "show-off" pen (by brand or bling), then a quality pen is not going to attract any concern. It's the bigger things ... the Taj Mahal office, the flashy suit and car ... that cost more that are more likely to draw ("I'm paying for that??') disdain. IMHO it's not so much the total dollars spent, but the amount of "flash", especially with clothes, that counts.

Not necessarily for prestige/elegance/ostentation, but on a practical level, what characteristics or models of fountain pens would be least likely to leak into your suit/shirt/attache?

My guess would be a cartridge, screw-on cap, and material not known for cracking.
Based on this I have my eye on Kaweco, especially since they have something like a century of experience in pens meant for carrying.

Roger

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not necessarily for prestige/elegance/ostentation, but on a practical level, what characteristics or models of fountain pens would be least likely to leak into your suit/shirt/attache?

My guess would be a cartridge, screw-on cap, and material not known for cracking.
Based on this I have my eye on Kaweco, especially since they have something like a century of experience in pens meant for carrying.

Roger

If you are looking to be very certain about pens not leaking, I'd go with a pen from a reliable maker, to start. If you are thinking of having it in your pocket, using the clip (which means nib-up, inside the closed cap) then my preference would be for a screw-on cap.

I would avoid eyedroppers as the o-ring and silicone grease is the only thing between you and a nasty spill (normally this isn't a problem and I have lots of eyedroppers, but if you are wanting to be extra carefull ... )

If the butt-end of the pen has a filling-mechanism thingy ... like a TWISBI or Pelikan ... make sure it's a secure design. (i've heard complaints about trying to post a cap on a TWISBI, for example ... but have no concerns about my Pelikans OTOH)

Top Bottom